Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   how to clean a dishwasher? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-clean-dishwasher-t124915.html)

FroggyinTexas 05-23-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Shoot, I buy a on sale dishwasher and use if for year or so and get another one. DH can pop one out and a new one in with his eyes closed. To clean out/replace the discharge hose the dishwasher has to be pulled out anyway. I find a dishwasher on a super clearance buy usually at Lowes or Sears and buy it. The last one cost me $225, stainless. It had a scratch on the front which didn't bother me at all. A magnet will cover it up. It is a Bosch super quiet. Best one so far.

Forgot to say I'm not one that will wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. My neighbor will wash her dishes before putting them in. :shock: Cascade Complete is the best detergent I've fond that will remove dried on gunk from dishes. Use the premeasured tabs. Too much detergent will leave the white film you see on dishware and will etch the glass. Never fill both compartments, just the last one to open. The newer washers have self adjusting amounts to discharge, you put in enough detergent to last for a few months. My DD has one like that and she says it works great.

You must be kidding! Replacing something that only needs cleaning? This must be a hoax! froggyintexas

madamekelly 05-23-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cosy
Add a cup of NON-SUDSING ammonia to the empty dishwasher and run it through a cycle.

I just give mine a good spraying with Windex, (while empty) then run through a cycle, no dishes, no cleaner. Works for us, although I automatically open the window to do this, because I am using ammonia with the chlorine in the water. Fumes ARE toxic. Be careful if you do this. There may not be enough chlorine to make a difference, but why tempt fate? HUGS

BellaBoo 05-24-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas

Shoot, I buy a on sale dishwasher and use if for year or so and get another one. DH can pop one out and a new one in with his eyes closed. To clean out/replace the discharge hose the dishwasher has to be pulled out anyway. I find a dishwasher on a super clearance buy usually at Lowes or Sears and buy it. The last one cost me $225, stainless. It had a scratch on the front which didn't bother me at all. A magnet will cover it up. It is a Bosch super quiet. Best one so far.

Forgot to say I'm not one that will wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. My neighbor will wash her dishes before putting them in. :shock: Cascade Complete is the best detergent I've fond that will remove dried on gunk from dishes. Use the premeasured tabs. Too much detergent will leave the white film you see on dishware and will etch the glass. Never fill both compartments, just the last one to open. The newer washers have self adjusting amounts to discharge, you put in enough detergent to last for a few months. My DD has one like that and she says it works great.

You must be kidding! Replacing something that only needs cleaning? This must be a hoax! froggyintexas

Nope, you don't know me! :D If I find a super bargain on household items that are newer and nicer then what I have I buy it. Replacing an appliance is not a major think it over decision for me.

kathidahl 05-24-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas

Nope, you don't know me! :D If I find a super bargain on household items that are newer and nicer then what I have I buy it. Replacing an appliance is not a major think it over decision for me.

WOW!!! EXCUSE ME!!

meant2be 05-24-2011 06:29 PM

I've used this product and it works. Mine was pretty bad though so had to use two of them (not at one time - ran the dishwasher empty and removed 1st bottle and put the 2nd one in and ran it again.) I had a lot of sediment and when I took the dishes out the surface would feel rough and it left a white coating on my pots and pans. But, like I said this product solved my problem. Good luck.

SewExtremeSeams 05-24-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by meant2be
I've used this product and it works. Mine was pretty bad though so had to use two of them (not at one time - ran the dishwasher empty and removed 1st bottle and put the 2nd one in and ran it again.) I had a lot of sediment and when I took the dishes out the surface would feel rough and it left a white coating on my pots and pans. But, like I said this product solved my problem. Good luck.

Sorry, which product are you speaking of? :-D

TonnieLoree 05-24-2011 08:47 PM

My best friend also washes her dished before they go into the dishwasher. Not just rinse off, but detergent. I just shake my head, smile and walk away.

I need a deal that that! There isn't a Lowes nor a Sears in this town. Best price I've run across is 525.00 at Sears online. Then there's the shipping..........

Ldydrifter 05-28-2011 07:44 PM

I use a cup of vinegar and about 1/2 to a cup of baking soda. I do't put dishes with food on in mine. I run everything under a faucet and scrape all the food off.