Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How did we ever survive? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-did-we-ever-survive-t76318.html)

Jingle 11-14-2010 06:04 PM

I grew up in the 50s and remember all of that well. We use to lay in the grass on a sunny day and make pictures out of any clouds in the sky and hunt for hours for four leaf clovers. Life wasn't as hurried back then as it is now. My kids also experienced some of the "finer things in life", playing outside, homemade cookies,cakes,bread,brownies and good homemade meals.

quiltluvr 11-14-2010 06:30 PM

I've gotten this several times via email.

Thanks for sharing it here. 8-)

Lostn51 11-14-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I grew up in the 50s and remember all of that well. We use to lay in the grass on a sunny day and make pictures out of any clouds in the sky and hunt for hours for four leaf clovers. Life wasn't as hurried back then as it is now. My kids also experienced some of the "finer things in life", playing outside, homemade cookies,cakes,bread,brownies and good homemade meals.

And those are the finer things in life!!!

Billy

wanderingcreek 11-14-2010 09:33 PM

I grew up during those times and remember them fondly. Wish they could still be like that today. We played in the park all day 1/2 a block from home)and only came home when Dad whistled at meal times. Now I can't let my DGS out in the yard alone.

trisha 11-14-2010 09:38 PM

Do you hear ourselves??? LOL I remember listening to my parents and their friends talk about the GOOD OLD DAYS and that was back in the 20's and 30's,,,,and here WE are...talking about the GOOD OLD DAYS!!! Oh do I feel old!!! But yes, remember them fondly and with much love!!!

fuail 11-14-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by trisha
Do you hear ourselves??? LOL I remember listening to my parents and their friends talk about the GOOD OLD DAYS and that was back in the 20's and 30's,,,,and here WE are...talking about the GOOD OLD DAYS!!! Oh do I feel old!!! But yes, remember them fondly and with much love!!!

I wonder what our kids' "Good old days" will be...smart phones and the "Great Recession"?

pojo 11-15-2010 01:30 AM

I remember that time and it was a good time of life.

Never sat and watch tv and played games. We were outside playing, riding our bikes and getting hurt. not on purpose.

Black and white TV still sounds good too.
Walking to school 3 miles one way and 3 miles home and I'm still here.

SherriB 11-15-2010 04:37 AM

I used to tease my Mom about living in the "olden days" of no tv or phone. Now my DD's tease me about growing up without a cell phone or computer. LOL!! I can only imagine what my little DGS, who is 19 mths, will think about my childhood when he is older.

Karyn 11-15-2010 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
OK...who remembers ironing their hair to make it straight ...LOL

I remember ironing mine, also rolling it on soup cans with the ends cut out. What we lacked by not being able to buy things, we used our brains and improvised! Makes for some funny stories now, but we are none the worse for our experiences.

Linda1 11-15-2010 05:12 AM

I graduated high school in 1964 so I definitely remember all those wonderful memories. You didn't dare tell my Mom that you were bored either. She would put me to work. She is 81 now and she still hates to hear a child say that.