Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do I use spaetzle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-i-use-spaetzle-t307052.html)

Lee in Richmond 09-23-2019 08:12 AM

How do I use spaetzle?

I just came home with a bag of spaetzle egg noodles, but there are no instructions on the bag. Do I cook them in boiling salted water like regular egg noodles? Or might they go into the dish (that has some liquid) and cook in there?

My only experience is with a package of frozen green beans with spaetzle, years ago, but I suspect there was also some seasoning in that.

Doggramma 09-23-2019 08:18 AM

I usually boil them and put them in chicken soup. They’re also delicious with pot roast and gravy, with the noodles boiled before serving them.

Lee in Richmond 09-23-2019 11:53 AM

So I would cook them like a regular [larger] egg noodle. Good to know. I love crock pot soups and stews in the winter and look forward to this addition.

Iceblossom 09-23-2019 12:51 PM

If you have what I think you have keep in mind they take forever to cook! Whereas a regular macaroni noodle may be 8 minutes, this type is more like 25 minutes. Using in soup I'd definitely pre-cook most of the way or else the cast off starch will discolor the stock use plenty of water.

But so delicious... I really miss noodles as a food group.

bakermom 09-23-2019 01:35 PM

They are good in place of dumplings in chicken paprikas, as noodles in soup, I have even just cooked and drained them and added parsley and butter. I had some a few years ago in a restaurant served with roasted vegetables and Swiss cheese on top.

farmquilter 09-24-2019 05:50 AM

I just did a search, went to Amazon and found BechtleTraditional German Egg Pasta Spaetzle Bavarian Style In 17.6 Ounce(Pack of 3). You can click on the photo of the bag back and find directions that suggest 17 minutes.

RuthiesRetreat3 09-24-2019 12:51 PM

My mom always cooked them in the liquid that held the chicken or other meat. Served instead of potatoes.

sJens 09-24-2019 03:06 PM

I cook mine in a pan of water and then add them to the soup or whatever. That way they don't make the soup broth thicker than you want it. You can brown them in butter/onions and use in place of potatoes too.

PATTIESPEARL 09-24-2019 04:26 PM

I always made them from scratch. Heat the salted almost to the boiling point and stir iccasionally. Allow them to cook until they float on top of the water take them out with a shimmer to allow them to drain. Place your serving on a plate and spoon brown roast gravy over the top. Delicious!!

Lee in Richmond 09-26-2019 04:35 AM

I am so glad to have all this feedback -- they look so tiny that I wouldn't have realized to cook them longer than other egg noodles, and preferably before adding to soup or whatever.