Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do others say "quilt"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-others-say-quilt-t204136.html)

Jan in VA 10-25-2012 05:10 PM

Patchwork.

Jan in VA

Peckish 10-25-2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5609619)
Hmmm, Canadian, American, Australian, English, Scottish.....quilt, quilt, quilt, quilt and quilt.:D

Lol smarty pants!

calano1 10-25-2012 10:50 PM

Afrikaans = Kwilt

jitkaau 10-26-2012 03:03 AM

Koldra/koldry for the noun. Wywatowac/picowac for the verb...Polish

Elfi2 10-26-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by RobertaMarie (Post 5609708)
Sometimes my French friends call it "Patches" and sometimes "boutis". or coourtepoint.
Others from Google Translate:
peplomo from Esperanto, tumahi from Filipino, deche from German, poplan from Hungarian, edredon from Spanish, yorgon from Turkish, calcha from Portugese, trapunta from Italian~~~~
Just don't call a QUILT a "blanket" as I think there is a difference. ();-)

"Eine Patchwork-Steppdecke" is what I call it in German and my French friends call it "une couverture Patch ou Patchwork" because the word counterpoint is the actual quilting not the quilt.
Still interesting to know all those different ways of naming a quilt.

Elfi2 10-26-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5612913)
Lol smarty pants!

Ohhh, in which language is it called "smarty pants".... :) :) :)

Iraxy 10-26-2012 05:15 AM

Cobija pronounced Koh-Bee-Ha which is to say blanket in Spanish. When I tell someone I make quiltos, they don't understand, but when I say cobija, they understand immediately. May be that is just a regional word because in NY, the Spanish speakers there understood quilto.

Geri B 10-26-2012 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5611296)
we should have language classes on here. i would love to learn another language. The States is the only place where most people only speak one!!

Oh, but we do the same language in so many dialects............

gmavis 10-26-2012 06:13 AM

Many years ago, when I went to meet my in-laws, in Missouri, my husbands Mother, and Grandmothers, called quilts, "couter pins". (not sure if I spelled that right or not) and addressing an envelope was "backing a letter". I think in the US, we have different names for things depending what region we live in. (My in-laws were wonderful)

Sierra 10-26-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5611296)
we should have language classes on here. i would love to learn another language. The States is the only place where most people only speak one!!

You should visit California! My "northern European" daughter lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and a few years ago her local newspaper announced that "white" is the minority in her town. When I teased her about it, she said she wasn't "white" because they go by last names so she is Asian. (Then she had the cheek to ask me if I felt "comfortable" visiting her!). I don't know what I am hearing half the time, but you hear all sorts of languages when walking on the street... all sorts of Asian, Middle Eastern, East Indian, Hispanic (at least that is basically one language), and even English at times :shock:.

I have no idea how any of them say "quilt".