Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you do that? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-do-t187904.html)

veryvirginia 05-02-2012 04:17 PM

How do you do that?

Someone mentioned removing the wires from an electric blanket and using in a quilt as a batting. How do you removed the wires without cutting the blanket into tiny strips?

TnBecky 05-02-2012 04:24 PM

On one I had many years ago, I cut the plug off the blanket & then started pulling the wires . You will have to gather the blanket to get the wires out, but it works. A friend had told me that is what she use's for her quilt's. Now something to look for at garage sale. LOL. :D Let us know how you do. :thumbup:

Jan in VA 05-02-2012 07:40 PM

I can hardly believe anyone would go to such lengths to avoid using regular batting. I don't get it.:confused:

Jan in VA

redtweety 05-02-2012 08:01 PM

I like using blankets instead of batting. 1. you don't have to quilt at any particular distance, the blanket will not care. it drapes wonderfully for me, I love the softness, it doesn't get stiff, or migrate. If I want a summer quilt, I use a sheet blanket,(a thin one) and it isn't too heavy. I cannot afford to go get battting for every quilt I make, so it works out for me to use blankets.

Phyllis42 05-03-2012 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by redtweety (Post 5189610)
I like using blankets instead of batting. 1. you don't have to quilt at any particular distance, the blanket will not care. it drapes wonderfully for me, I love the softness, it doesn't get stiff, or migrate. If I want a summer quilt, I use a sheet blanket,(a thin one) and it isn't too heavy. I cannot afford to go get battting for every quilt I make, so it works out for me to use blankets.

Where do you buy the sheet blankets? I can't seem to find them any more.

retrogirl02 05-03-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5189574)
I can hardly believe anyone would go to such lengths to avoid using regular batting. I don't get it.:confused:

Jan in VA

I understand using regular blankets you have on hand, but Jan is right in that this is an extraordinary amount of work removing the wires embedded in heated blankets. I would suggest garage sales and second hand stores for finding gently worn sheet blankets. As a matter of fact, I just saw a brand new still packaged blanket at a yard sale & haven't been on the hunt for any.

I use batting that I buy on sale or with big discounts but I only buy larger cuts. I cut it down for my project and use all the bits for my smaller projects.

bearisgray 05-03-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5189574)

Jan in VA

Sometimes one has to make do with what one has.

Gladygirl 05-03-2012 09:55 AM

Electric blankets usually have a bias tape type covering over the wires and I took all of that off to get the wires out---lots of time and effort to do it. Was sorry I had used the thing in a quilt because it weighed a ton (queen sized quilt). My daughter liked it tho--she likes a heavy cover on her bed. Won't ever do it again tho.

buslady 05-03-2012 10:28 AM

One of the things I like about this board. Everyone has an opinion, and can express it. You can use the infomation provided in feedback to make a decision as to whether or not you would do a certain technique. Can you imagine if no one shared ideas, and no one listened to others opinions? This is just a great place to hang out! Haven't really thought of the blanket issue, but I will now.

Jan in VA 05-03-2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5190618)
Sometimes one has to make do with what one has.

I can understand this. I, too, live on an extremely limited income; if it were not for my extensive stash from having owned the shop years ago, I likely wouldn't be quilting today. But getting batting the way it was described would certainly end my piecing habit! I'm grateful that I had batting, am occasionally given batting, can beg batting remnants, and also have used what was leftover from the Barracks Quilt Project here of a year ago.

I DO get using what one has.

Jan in VA