Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-eat-elephant-t100322.html)

nativetexan 02-16-2011 04:13 PM

rather than say bad words, i usually say Rats in a Hat! and i'm from Houston.

Lormito 02-16-2011 04:47 PM

My grandchildren don't know "supper", they know "dinner".
They don't know "cellar", they know "basement".
But the one that really shows my age.....I referred to someone as "her nibs" and none of my children (all in their thirties) knew that term.

Ramona Byrd 02-16-2011 04:54 PM

Then theres "he's as nervous as a toad eating lightening" which sure does bring up some interesting mental pictures. Makes me think of Don Knots when he was faced with a crook in Mayberry.
And all of THAt calls for some explanation of old TV shows!!

All day preaching and dinner on the grounds. That one is a real oldie, used to have traveling preachers going through the mountains and staying for a week or so in one place under tents.

Running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!! I know one lady who is like that, one simple thing go wrong with her day and she's nervous, upset and loud and scared!!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-16-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I am 45 and grew up hearing many of these. Just wish I could remember them all. My DH has saying for just about everything. His dear sweet mamaw taught him so many. She was born, raised and died in the hills of southwest VA.

My Mamaw was born, raised and died all within 15 miles of Gate City, VA. She had a saying for everything. Some I can't put on the board even!

Shoot fire and save matches!
Who beat him with the ugly stick?
Pat a biscuit but leave a pone alone.
Finer than a frog's hair split four ways.

These sound much better if you can imagine a nice southern accent with them.

smagruder 02-17-2011 03:23 AM

How about Ugly as a mud rail fence!

or They was fitten all day long

put it in a poke sack

Aussie Quilter 02-17-2011 03:47 AM

As nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

The milkman's horse never died before either, when someone says "it's never done that before..."

A milkman sold his horse, and a few days later the new owner came up to him and said "You know that horse you sold me the other day? It died today" "Funny," said the milkman, "it's never done that before."

Aurora 02-17-2011 04:32 AM

Yelp, I know how to eat an elephant.

My mother used to say:

When I wanted something: People in Hell want ice water.

When I was watching for someone: A watched pot never boils.

Now I use them on her (and she thought I wasn't listening). She is starting to regret both of those sayings she used so frequently on me all those years ago. AAAH YES Paybacks!

ibequilting1 02-17-2011 05:14 AM

The hurrider I go the behinder I get,birds of a feather flock together,you are judged by the company you keep. These are all sayings from my childhood and yes, how do you eat an elephant.

Karyn 02-17-2011 05:18 AM

In the south, we can say anything about anybody as long as we follow up with: Bless her/his heart!!
I have eaten many elephants-one bite at a time, but for the life of me I can't tell you what it tastes like- chicken? lol

Riversong 02-17-2011 05:24 AM

This reminds me...I once knew am old gentleman in the nursing home where I worked,who would say someone stingy "walked like they had a paper ass". I could never figure that one out.The other day,Natale got frustrated and said "oh Tarnation"We dont use that term so she must have seen it on tv. But it kinda got our attention. She is FOUR !!! LOL!