Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you feel about this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-feel-about-t298685.html)

SusieQOH 08-04-2018 05:00 AM

How do you feel about this?

Hi friends,

As we all know time seems to fly. Lately I'm being bombarded by all my favorite quilt places with Christmas ideas, fabrics, patterns etc.

I don't enjoy this at all.

I do realize that with quilting we need time to get our projects done but doesn't July seem early? Hey, if you want to make a holiday quilt in July that's a different story but all the ads drive me bonkers.

It's not the worst thing in the world but I have to say it bugs me. I like to live in the moment and enjoy the here and now, which isn't always easy as it is!

Anyone else?

Susie

bearisgray 08-04-2018 05:06 AM

I usually avoid "the holiday aisles" when I go shopping -

Halloween in July, Thanksgiving in September, Christmas in July, Valentines Day starts the day after Christmas -

I can now better understand why "the sellers" are not so much interested in targeting old(er) people - a lot of us are now trying to downsize - or most of our money is going fir health care!

But does it bug me? Not particularly - I just ignore what does not appeal to me.

Boston1954 08-04-2018 05:07 AM

My mother used to call it "pushing the season". I have not seen that many things about Christmas quilting, but one of the Hallmark channels had Christmas movies non-stop for about two weeks. Drove me up the wall. Takes the edge off of December.

SusieQOH 08-04-2018 05:08 AM

I'm talking more about emails. I shop online more than stores.

Jane Quilter 08-04-2018 06:01 AM

My Long armer stops taking quilts on October 1st so she can finish all her orders by Christmas and have a peaceful Christmas herself. So starting in July for me is not so crazy. I joined the winter swap here on the QB, and it is my first holiday quilt and I own no holiday fabric. When I got to the LQS , they were having a 20% off sale. I was thrilled.

Onebyone 08-04-2018 06:24 AM

I ignore anything that bothers me emails included. LOL As I get older it seems the holidays are coming every few weeks instead of months like they use to.

Moira in N.E. England 08-04-2018 06:41 AM

Yes - I totally agree!

I was a teacher before I retired and what really bugged me was going into shops a week or two before the summer holidays started and seeing displays of ‘back to school’ items - uniforms etc.

This annoyed me because the shops sold these items all year round. I didn’t want to think about ‘back to school’ before I had even started my holiday.

SusieQOH 08-04-2018 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England (Post 8105503)
Yes - I totally agree!

I was a teacher before I retired and what really bugged me was going into shops a week or two before the summer holidays started and seeing displays of ‘back to school’ items - uniforms etc.

This annoyed me because the shops sold these items all year round. I didn’t want to think about ‘back to school’ before I had even started my holiday.

Moira- so they do that in the UK too? I thought it was just we crazy Americans :)

DJ 08-04-2018 06:58 AM

I do try to think about the holidays quite a while in advance, because I like to make gifts. It's no fun to be scrambling at the last minute. That's what destroys a holiday for me. So enjoying the "prep" as early as possible, just enhances the holiday for me. Nope, doesn't bother me at all for marketers to give me ideas well in advance of a holiday and to be able to purchase craft items at a discount.

In fact, I just had a PM from a board member asking me about ornaments that I posted in May.

I often get ideas for cards and begin making Christmas cards in January before the Christmas Glow has faded.

Doggramma 08-04-2018 07:16 AM

I don't like to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. So that's my opinion....!