Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you make sweet iced tea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-make-sweet-iced-tea-t49740.html)

Alu_Rathbone 06-15-2010 11:25 AM

We buy the lipton Cold brew... I use two bags to the 1 gallon pitcher. Let it brew and then I add a cup and half of sugar for the sweet tea flavor. If you want it sweeter, you can add a little more sugar.

Janetlmt 06-15-2010 11:37 AM

I put two cups of filtered water in a pan..bring to a boil and add 5 Tetley British Blend tea bags in and seep until the water is cool. Do not boil the bags..changes the taste of the tea. I then make a sugar syrup of 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water..bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is disolved..about 5 minutes. Add a little of the syrup to the tea..tasting to make sure it is sweet as you like. Store the remaining syrup in fridge. You can use this syrup for lemonade also.

quilter2 06-15-2010 11:40 AM

I use my coffee maker, I use 12 cups water, 5 family size tea bags, when done let it steep with tea bags in the water. Put 2 cups of sugar in your tea and stir. Fill 1 gallon pitcher with ice cubes and pour tea over ice and put in fridge. Great sweet, strong ice tea.

Melinda in Tulsa 06-15-2010 12:38 PM

I use a coffee maker. I have one for coffee and a separate one for tea. Put 4 regular tea bags in, let it brew and then sit for 10-15 minutes. I use 1 cup of sugar in a gallon pitcher, pour hot tea over the sugar to melt, stir, then finish filling with cold water and stir the contents. Makes a nice strong tea. Amount of sugar would depend on how sweet you like your tea. For me 1 cup is perfect. This was how my momma made tea, only she boiled her water and then steeped it. I like to use a coffee pot. Hope this helps.

amandasgramma 06-15-2010 01:07 PM

The trick I learned when down south, was to heat water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool. The same time, boil water and pour it over the teabags. When both are cool, combine them. I find Red Rose tea doesn't create a bitter taste.

MadQuilter 06-15-2010 01:32 PM

Wouldn't you just add sugar? I bet you can tell that I am not a tea drinker, huh? lol

sewgull 06-15-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Sweet Tea in the south is a natural thing. Boiling tea makes it dark and bitter. My recipe: Put water into tea kettle or pot, bring water to boil add 4 family size tea bags. Remove from heat let steep while cooling. 1/2 gallon pitcher add 1 cup sugar and disolve,(I use hot water) Pour brewed tea, stir and finish filling with water. Place ice in glass and pour tea and enjoy.
Splenda, sweet and low, and etc, I don't like the taste they have. Plus who knows what they contain.

THIS SHOULD READ ONE GALLON PITCHER not 1/2 gallon.
Fingers and mind don't always work together

BellaBoo 06-15-2010 07:08 PM

I can't drink sun tea. Sitting in the sun that long turns the tea and turned tea is not good for you. I've been drinking sweet tea all my life. My grandmother and mother made it from loose tea leaves. I make it with tea bags, black tea is our favorite ice tea. I make a gallon of black ice tea every other day and sometimes once a day. We don't drink soda so it it's tea, lemonade or water for cold drinks.

The secret is right water temp, just before boiling but never boiling water. Add 12 regular size tea bags or 4 family size tea bags, to about a quart of hot water, cover and let seep for at least an hour. Remove tea bags and add sugar syrup. ( 1 1/3 cup sugar dissolved in two cups hot water) Add cold tap water to sweet tea mix to make one gallon. Keep in fridge.

I have an instant hot water tap on my sink and the water is the perfect temp for tea or instant coffee. I never knew instant coffee could taste good until I found the perfect water temp. If instant coffee foams it's not the right temp at all and the coffee will taste like instant coffee.

CAK44 06-16-2010 03:42 AM

I use loose Lipton tea, 1/3 cup in a quart jar fill with hot water let it steep with a lid on it for up to 1/2 hr.
Strain it thru your coffee filter into another jar or container.Put the sweetner of choice in and pour in the tea mixture.Fill continer with water. This mixture will make 1/2 gallon. ENJOY

quiltlin 06-16-2010 05:27 AM

Your friend must be from the South as that is the "nectar" that we always have down here. Me, I'm a non-sweet tea drinker.