Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you manage your time after you retire? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-manage-your-time-after-you-retire-t146780.html)

jkrzemi 08-22-2011 03:22 PM

Men retire women just leave one of the 2 jobs we have.
It hapens to be the one that earns a pay check.

Challys 08-22-2011 03:25 PM

I've been retired almost 2 yrs. For me it works better to have a bit of a plan---cleaning on this day, groceries on that. I tend to waste alot of time doing nothing, but blame alot on my DH who always wants me to sit with him and talk or something.

Sweeterthanwine 08-22-2011 03:31 PM

I love my retirement!! Started working when I was 17 and continued working until I retired at age 55. For a while I just relaxed and did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Then got busy doing crafts, quilting, and all the other things I couldn't do while working. My husband and I travel quite a bit across the US and have been to Alaska three times. Loved every minute of it. If I have a lazy day, so what. Life is to short to worry about what happens tomorrow. Enjoy your retirement, you earned it. No one will tell on you if you have a lazy day once in a while. No retirement police that I know of.

MoMoSews 08-22-2011 03:57 PM

Whenever someone asks me what I do since I retired I reply "Whatever I want". I live by that motto!

craftygma 08-22-2011 04:00 PM

YOU will love retirement. At first it will be hard thinking you
need to have things done on schedual, but then just relax.
You will be surprised how time flies. Enjoy,enjoy,enjoy!!!

redvette54 08-22-2011 04:17 PM

Congrats on your ucoming retirement. You are so lucky to be retiring at a young age. If my health holds out, I'll still be working well into my 60's. I'm 57 now.

jbrother 08-22-2011 04:32 PM

Don't turn on the TV and find at least one volunteer activity to give you some structure and discipline. I'm 58 and I found if I don't have at least one structured outside activity to get me going, I can fritter away an entire day and accomplish nothing. I'm like you, I have worked since I was 13 and was looking forward to retirement. But, I found if I did not have at least one thing from the outside that was expected of me, I just got mired up at home and accomplished nothing. You know the saying, ask a busy person if you want to get something done? The more I have scheduled, the more disciplined I am about getting things done at home I want to do. That's what works for me.

moreland 08-22-2011 05:05 PM

I spent the first 7 years of retirement as a nanny for various families--was in three different states and made a lot of friends along the way.
Once I got back home, I got involved in the quilt guild, volunteering at the hospital, and church activities and LOTS of Quilting.
It is good to have some things you make yourself get ready and go do (exercise class, bridge club, senior center activities, travel with family or friend(s). etc.) Make lunch/dinner dates with friends, mostly just be sure you get out of the house several times a week! Happy Retirement--enjoy it.
This summer I have "sister-sat" so her daughter could go on vacation. I live in KS, she is in Indiana, as is most of my family so that is a bonus for me. In Oct, I will take my brother to New Mexico for a month to visit his sons, again, this gives his daughter a break from her care-giving responsibilities. He can't drive anymore, and he really enjoys getting to "go home", which is what NM is for him.
I bet you can find more things to do than you will have time for--then you get to pick and choose. :-)

CorneliaVa 08-22-2011 05:21 PM

It's been my experience that OTHERS are more than happy to manage your time for you ...... My advice would be: Learn to say no ...... Decide what YOU want to spend your time, effort and money doing ...... Don't listen to other's whining .....

Seriously ...... don't stress too much .... it will all unfold in due time ....

auntdeb 08-22-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
LOL, i am so busy since dh and i quit working that i don't know how i found the time to work.

Same here. Don't know how we ever squeezed in work!