Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to handle selling fabric to quilting board member (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-handle-selling-fabric-quilting-board-member-t144293.html)

May in Jersey 08-11-2011 02:17 AM

I've never done this before and thought it would be easy but member lives in UK. I expected a US buyer and a check or money order would be payment. She suggested Pay Pal or a bank transfer. I don't have Pay Pal and don't know how it works to receive payment. Took a look at Pay Pal site and it was a little confusing to me. I assume there are fees involved but who pays them? Would I have to give her my bank account info for a bank transfer? She is also a brand new member here. Any advice about how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Had to empty my stash closet because of remodeling being done and found several other items I would like to sell so I'm interested in knowing how others have made out selling quilting stuff through the message board.

christina d 08-11-2011 02:29 AM

The best way for her to pay you would be Paypal there is a very small fee for the seller so add a little to the cost of your item to cover this you just need your email address to get a paypal account the buyer will pay and the money goes into your paypal account no bank numbers are given out and then you can transfer the money to your bank account.I use it all of the time to send and recieve money from and to family in Aus.

sewcrafty 08-11-2011 02:54 AM

If you use personal, you shouldn't have any fees associated with it. The other thing you can use is refund. I've purchased things to send to Australia and had her use refund. No fees associated with that also.

blueangel 08-11-2011 03:19 AM

I agree. Paypal is best.

kathy 08-11-2011 03:22 AM

yes use paypal and NEVER EVER give anybody your bank info!

Candy Apple Quilts 08-11-2011 03:24 AM

Another good thing about Paypal is that your customers can use a credit card without worrying about you seeing their account numbers. It really is the fastest way to handle transactions, and you will be surprised how quickly you can set it up.

ptquilts 08-11-2011 03:30 AM

even with a personal account, if it is payment for "Goods" I believe there is a fee. (3%)

JulieR 08-11-2011 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
even with a personal account, if it is payment for "Goods" I believe there is a fee. (3%)

I think so, too. But it's so minimal compared with the hassle of any other method, it's worth it to me!

May in Jersey 08-11-2011 03:57 AM

Looks as if Pay Pal is the way to go. Thanks,

Originally Posted by kathy
yes use paypal and NEVER EVER give anybody your bank info!

Oh, I never do give out bank info.

jmabby 08-11-2011 04:02 AM

PayPal does charge the seller a small amount