Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How have you gone "Greener"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-have-you-gone-%22greener%22-t160980.html)

Lori S 10-16-2011 07:33 PM

In the recent years there has been much emphasis on going "green" ... I banned paper towels from home! I have really been trying mimimize the trash , and make every effort to consume all of the items I purchase . Just wondered ..What have you changed to live a "greener' life ?

Candace 10-16-2011 07:49 PM

We compost everything compostable, recycle anything marked, collect rainwater, raise our own fruit, veggies and eggs, bike or walk anywhere we can, use cloth, reusable grocery bags, and the list goes on and on. We really do try to collectively use LESS and impact the environment less as a family. It makes us feel better about the world we share.

luckylindy333 10-16-2011 08:30 PM

We are trying to reduce our carbon footprint. We buy the organic paper towells and toilet paper. We recycle and compost everything that we can think of. We also collect rainwater, take the train and bus to the airport. We try to use the reusable grocery bags and are getting better. We reuse any plastic grocery bags.

Lacelady 10-16-2011 09:41 PM

I use long life shopping bags, recycle and compost everything possible, had my cavity walls filled with polystyrene beads, and I have solar panels on my roof for hot water (I got a Govt. grant towards the cost of that one).

I do still have to drive, as my nearest bus stop is 6 miles away, but I go out less, and try to combine trips wherever possible.

Charlee 10-16-2011 09:43 PM

Within reason, but I don't go out of my way, or my budget to do so.
It's amazing how much the words "Organic" and "Green" add to the price of products.

SherriB 10-16-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
It's amazing how much the words "Organic" and "Green" add to the price of products.

I agree with you! I try and recycle plastic, aluminum,tin, cardboard and paper. Vinegar and baking soda are excellent "green" cleaning products and don't cost a fortune.

Joan 10-16-2011 10:08 PM

I've been buying more green fabric....does that count?
(lol) :P

Seriously, we do recycle aluminum, plastic plus tin cans. I have been more aware of using and reusing items.

gale 10-16-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

I agree. We recycle for the most part, and we compost. That's pretty much it though. We raise our own beef and pork and have chickens for eggs but not sure if that's being green. I have reusable bags but 99% of the time forget to take them with me. I love my paper towels and wash everything in hot water.

QM 10-17-2011 12:33 AM

I was raised by very "green" parents. My Dh has the same inclination. Our main emphasis lately has been on lower power usage. DH chose our heating/cooling system to be as efficient as possible. Insulation is a big emphasis around here. most of our lights are LEDs. For 4-6 watts, we get 60-100 watts worth of high color temperature light. The refer is very high efficiency. We also use cloth grocery bags, which have the added advantage that they hold more without shredding. We have recently downsized our abode, which also helps. Not only did we get several thousand for our yard sale stuff, lots of stuff went to the local thrift store.

Our LQS has a regular recycle deal, if you bring in a bag for your purchases, you are entered in a monthly drawing for a $20 gift certificate. I've won it twice in the last couple of years.

Of course, the most interesting Green activity in my life is crumb quilting.

QuiltnNan 10-17-2011 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I've been buying more green fabric....does that count?
(lol) :P

ROTFL