Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to hide email addresses when forwarding a message? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-hide-email-addresses-when-forwarding-message-t34995.html)

Minda 01-24-2010 10:12 AM

I remember reading a post about hiding email addresses but I don't remember who posted it (possibly Butterflywing??). I couldn't find it when I searched. Can anyone help?

Moonpi 01-24-2010 11:03 AM

When you click on "forward", the new screen comes up with everything contained in the first e-mail. Just highlight extra names and anything you do not want forwarded, and hit delete.

Thank you for sparing your mailing list from spam!

butterflywing 01-24-2010 11:08 AM

if you mean about hiding email addies to keep hackers away, it was this.

when you forward, your entire message appears in the window. before you send it on, you can delete all the addresses that came before yours. so if you receive something with a string of addresses, you can delete them all, leaving only your immediate email address (at the top) and to whom it's going ( also at the top). BUT these are not included within the body of your email. hackers are getting into the body of the mail. i've asked my friends and family to do this before sending things to me, and they have. mac is petty safe in itself, but it can pass trouble on to others. if you still can't get your mind around it, pm me.

joeyoz 01-24-2010 11:13 AM

When I send an e-mail to several people I click the TO: and a box comes up with my contacts. When I click on a contact I then click BCC: Stands for Blind Carbon Copy. Then whoever the email is addressed to, that is the ONLY name that appears in their email.

butterflywing 01-24-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
When I send an e-mail to several people I click the TO: and a box comes up with my contacts. When I click on a contact I then click BCC: Stands for Blind Carbon Copy. Then whoever the email is addressed to, that is the ONLY name that appears in their email.

right. i forgot about that. thanks. when you type the TO: send it back to yourself. then blind copy to anyone else you're really sending it to. since your own address is already on the FROM: line, you're not giving out anything else.

Margie 01-24-2010 09:45 PM

[quote=Moonpi]When you click on "forward", the new screen comes up with everything contained in the first e-mail. Just highlight extra names and anything you do not want forwarded, and hit delete.

When I am forwarding, I first copy and paste the email to a new "letter". That way none of the other addy's appear. I didnt know about the BBC before, will have to try that.

Margie

amma 01-29-2010 08:52 PM

Thank you all for being aware of this :D:D:D
I delete and use the BCC before I forward and it would be great if everyone else would too :D:D:D

butterflywing 01-29-2010 08:58 PM

when i send out to friends and family i started typing nothing at all in the TO: line.

then, i BCC: (blindcopy) whoever i'm sending to. now, i just learned from my dil that when she gets mail from my verizon account it's addressed to "unknown recipient". she says, if i don't know her, why am i sending her mail? :lol: