Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   how to keep a log for job hunting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-keep-log-job-hunting-t38769.html)

MollieSue 03-06-2010 05:23 PM

I was an office manager for a small business, and there's not really been a whole lot, mostly for 15-20 hour a week jobs.
So I'm following this thread for all the great ideas! :)

Lisanne 03-06-2010 05:34 PM

MollieSue, I'm going to throw out some ideas. You've probably already thought of them all, but in case you haven't...

-- Look at larger companies as well as small businesses. you can be an office manager for a corporation, for one department or whatever.
-- Check colleges and hospitals near you. You might be able to work in the business office, a department office, etc.
-- Consider state government (Civil Service) work. It need not be in office management. It can be anything you meet the requirements for. http://agency.governmentjobs.com/michigan/default.cfm
-- Register with temporary and permanent employment agencies. Try OfficeTeam.com. I don't know where you are, but they have offices in Grand Rapids and K'zoo.

carrieg 03-06-2010 06:16 PM

I was in accounting and actually have well-rounded experience - payroll, AR, AP, financial statements. I have only worked for 3 employers in 29 years, so I guess I'm stable. LOL I do know a friend who got a job from monster and I saw a local job on careerbuilder, a site recomended by our tax preparer. The jobskill workshop I went to included a listing of the area's largest employers and their websites, so I plan on checking their sites out for postings. I plan on going to AccountTemps and another temp agency next week.

The news on the radio said jobs were increasing in IT and accounting, so that's encouraging! Otherwise, it's very, very scary. But DH says once he's off medical leave next month, we'll be ok for several months. Nice to have that support.

QuiltingGrannie 03-06-2010 06:24 PM

All good tips! As I am job hunting also, I belong to the UNDER EMPLOYED group, I keep track by a notebook of the who, what, where, when etc details.
Another website to check out for jobs is INDEED.com.
I've not had luck through them yet, but like what they offer better than many other job sites.

Good luck to all who are job hunting.

Maride 03-06-2010 08:26 PM

I am a research laboratory technician. I have done basic research, and supervised an In-vitro fertilization lab. More recently I worked for a major pharmaceutical company as a study toxicologist, basicaly being part of a team doing all the necessary research and writting the reports to present new drugs to the FDA for approval.

I have found tons of jobs in Indeed.com, but many of them entry level, for which I am over qualified. I am afraid of toning down my resume a little for fear of only being offered entry level job, which don't pay enough in science. I already had one interview but they don't want to make it worth. The job is collecting blood from patients with very bad infectious diseases and doing research with the blood, but for too little money. They like the fact that I am bilingual, but don't feel the need to compensate for that too. Right now they have a lot of trouble when a spanish-only patient comes in. I actually helped the day of the interview with a spanish speaking man.

I have also used Medzilla, but no luck yet.

Boston1954 03-10-2010 03:56 PM

Excel is where I kept mine. It is perfect for putting everything to the phone numbers and dates of interviews, to the results.

Good Luck.

w7sue 04-08-2012 10:38 AM

Hi, my name is Sue, I have been unemployed since June 2007 ... I feel like a failure ... does this sound like an AA meeting?

I have been unemployed since June 2007 when the company I worked for closed. I had been their office manager for 15 years. I have looked for a job off and on during the past 5 years. I am lucky enough to have a husband who doesn't mind his "stay at home mom" being a "stay at home wife" - lol. But, that being said, I do miss working at a regular job.

My job was with a school so I was able to drop my children off at their schools, work, and pick them up after school. I had holidays and summers off and I had a boss who understood that family always came first.

I have signed up as a temp for the school districts in the area and have worked very little. I don't think people want to take time off for fear of losing the jobs they have. I did have a dream job last year until I fell down my stairs at home while getting out the door for work and broke my arm. I have spent the past year trying to heal and find another job.

I have a small address book for internet addresses that I keep website information in. I have found it useful to have all my login information in one place. When I apply for a job, I print out the job information and attach a copy of the email I sent when applying. I just keep adding any pertinent information to that.

I have a list of references and job addresses with any information that isn't included on my resume so I don't have to search everywhere for it.

I think one of my biggest frustrations is no face-to-face during the application process - I also resent having to have a college degree to be a receptionist for $10/hour ... really?!?!?

I really have just joined the retired group - I pursue hobbies, volunteer and enjoy being able to do things with my family without having to discuss time off with an employer - do I wish I had a job - yes, but the real truth is I am enjoying not working.

I wish everyone who wanted to work could find a job that would pay a living wage - my daughter lives at home because she doesn't earn enough to support an apartment on her own - she is looking for a better job and possibly a roommate. I will be sad to see her go ... lol

Our son has been unemployed for a little over a year now, thankfully he has skills that allow him to work freelance so he hasn't starved to death yet or moved back home - not that I know where we would put him - now that the kids are "gone" it seems we actually need a bigger house because when they bounce back they bring more stuff with them than they had when they left ...

I am just thankful that we can offer them a roof over their heads when they need it while they get back on their feet.

nativetexan 04-08-2012 03:53 PM

what was the template called in microsoft for keeping track of job hunts? I've been looking on their site but am perplexed. Ah, i think i found some.