Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to know when to quit giving "quilty" items to friends and family? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-know-when-quit-giving-quilty-items-friends-family-t296724.html)

SusieQOH 05-07-2018 01:54 PM

It's so true that not everyone likes quilts or anything like that. Our brains operate relatively the same here on the board but to some people that's not the case. I only make quilts for my loved ones who want one and don't make all those little things that can add up to clutter.
My middle son is having a birthday tomorrow. I got him a Visa gift card so he can buy whatever he wants. His wife is taking him on a surprise trip to British Columbia so I know he'll enjoy that card.
I'm fussy too though. I know what I like better than most people. I think most of us do.
And I also agree that we Americans have way too much. As I said in another post I'm on a major minimalism kick and it's fantastic!

suern3 05-07-2018 02:03 PM

Zozee, these are my thoughts, too. You need to know your recipients. I don't give gifts to extended family or friends, so not a problem. My immediate family knows that I love to make quilts or sew, so if any of them want anything, they tell me. One of our daughters is not really interested in quilts, other than for her kids. She and I have very different taste and we are ok with that. We did discuss the quilts I made for the kids. She does appreciate the things I have made for her and her family. Our other daughter actually seems to be enthused about anything I make and will ask for things that she sees me working on, even some of my practice pieces that I made into mug rugs and table toppers . I was really pleased when our son and his wife asked me to make a large runner for the kitchen island in their new house. I loved doing that, but I was a little anxious about it. I bought so much fabric to try out and then bought extra of the ones I chose. Has to be the most expensive runner ever, if they only knew!:)

Crispy_Frog 05-07-2018 06:54 PM

When a co-worker lost her home and all her belongings in a house fire I gifted them with a queen-sized quilt that I just finished. She was inundated with donations from everyone in the company so it was all staged in the warehouse. Months later after getting her insurance settlement she had the contents of the warehouse sent to the Salvation Army. She opted to get everything new. She never looked in the warehouse. The Salvation Army is a worthy cause, but I know that the quilt will never be priced to cover the cost of fabric or long-term quilter.

zozee 05-07-2018 07:38 PM

Crispy Frog, that's horrible! My heart just sank as I read that. WHat a sick feeling that must've been. I'm so sorry that happened.

Geri B 05-08-2018 05:37 AM

It is so true that many times the "value" of a quilt is overlooked........I have bought several at estate sales..and most of them are handquilted.....for practically nothing......
i don't give bed quilts to family/friends...learned that the hard way. They prefer small decorative, seasonal things......so I, like mentioned here by another, am at a point of what else and for whom..........giving to "charities" is also not always the best outlet......

Jingle 05-08-2018 06:40 PM

I am going to continue making quilts, until I do longer can. What happens to them after I am gone doesn't matter. I love making them. I have but a very few family and I gave them all I plan to, unless they ask. I only make quilts.

PamelaOry 05-08-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog (Post 8054230)
When a co-worker lost her home and all her belongings in a house fire I gifted them with a queen-sized quilt that I just finished. She was inundated with donations from everyone in the company so it was all staged in the warehouse. Months later after getting her insurance settlement she had the contents of the warehouse sent to the Salvation Army. She opted to get everything new. She never looked in the warehouse. The Salvation Army is a worthy cause, but I know that the quilt will never be priced to cover the cost of fabric or long-term quilter.

That just makes me feel ill. On a positive note, I can tell you that I’ve loved quilts for as long as I can remember and have never been given one so...I absolutely treasure the one I found at a thrift store. It’s only a twin size and my husband and I have a king bed but I don’t care that it doesn’t fit. I love it. Odds are that your quilt went to someone who appreciates it.

Sandygirl 05-09-2018 02:23 AM

I have friends who tell me NOT to make them anything quilty. No hurt feelings on my part. I appreciate the heads Up! One friend and her husband won a quilt at their church raffle. They did not really “want” it...stored it carefully. I suggested that they re-gift it back to the church for the next raffle.

Sandy