Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How many of you actually listen to your doctor's advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-many-you-actually-listen-your-doctors-advice-t44596.html)

MamaNan 05-03-2010 06:49 AM

I shudder when I think of all the harm done by some of the net site advice. Be sure that you check out who is giving the advice. Anyone can put any thing on the net and people will follow their advice, As a CETN, I was often offered handsome somes to " do a study" using certain products, but using the companys end results. I would be published and an endorser of the product, regardless of the actual results. I almost fell for it, then I realized I was being manipulated. Also don't waste your doctors time and your money, if you are not going to follow the advice he offers. It does not always work, but don't you owe him the respect to let him know, it might help the next patient if you let him know how you responded. As much as we want it to be, medicine is not an exact science. Didn't mean to lecture but I'm sure that you can tell that this is dear to my heart. Take care and good health.

MamaNan 05-03-2010 06:50 AM

"somes" should read sums. Shame on me!

Ilovemydogs 05-03-2010 08:43 AM

I agree with you stitchinwitch. My hubby would to! The doctors give a lot of medicine when simple lifestyle changes could help!

OHSue 05-03-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Oh - I listen alright just like I listen to all those commercials on tv that says to tell your doctor you need this prescription or that one. We are living in a "just say no to drugs" society, but there are ads everytime you turn around saying you nEED a certain drug. More deaths and negative interactions are caused by prescription drugs than illegal ones. Natural eating is the key - yes, there are SOME ailments that can ONLY be controlled with meds, but you have to learn and be aware of all side effects and interactions and MUST have a knowledgable doctor.

I wonder where you got the statistic that says more people die and have negative reactions from prescription drugs than from illegal drugs?

mountain deb 05-04-2010 03:29 AM

Some of the drugs are given with good intentions, but if you do not research it and educate your self, you may be killing yourself, slowly. I am a nurse in a nursing home. Some of these elderly think it is there God given right to take as much meds as they can wheedle out of the Doc. (status symbol - you need to hear them discussing all there meds and how much is wrong them them because they are on so much) I read somewhere that big drug co. said there is no money if you are well, no wonder they advertise in all these commercials. I could go on about this...I am into the herbal stuff due to the side effects of modern medicine.

marsye 05-04-2010 03:45 AM

I listen but may not do what he tells me after I do my own research. :lol:

moomoo 05-04-2010 04:17 AM

i had my galbladder took out 3 years ago and ever since my body just swells on and off all the time...do u have any of this problems...i asked the doctor and all they did was put me on water pills which dont help...i worry over my liver all the time mainly cuz i dont eat very good to much fat im sure...i had it checked last year it was fine...what natural meds do u take for ur liver...

mountain deb 05-05-2010 03:37 AM

MooMoo.... I would suggest going to Vitamin World or some Vitamin specialty store and asking them for help in which herbal product to take. I have tried some over the years and found some that trully benefit. I keep taking those and discard those that do not seem to help. Google on the net for something like herbal remedies for liver problems. Herbal products have been arond in one form or another for over 1,000 years, while modern medicines been arond a short time.

moomoo 05-05-2010 03:39 AM

thanks for the info i will do that

Maride 05-05-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Most Drs. take the drug reps info about what the drug will or will not do. Few of them will research the new drugs throughly, they depend on the drug company to do that for them.

Unfortunately the only information out there is what comes from the pharmaceutical company. Most companies are reducing the size of their sales groups or eliminating them all together because with the internet, the information is available to any one any time. Is excellent to listen to your Dr, but is important to remember that he/she is human too and we all have some personal responsibility about our health. Also, some people don't follow the main piece of advice you should remember when seen a Dr. Tell EVERYTHING. Your Dr needs all the information to make a decision, and if we don't tell them everything, they can't. We want to believe our Dr is perfect, but he/she is not.

I listen to my Dr, but if I was to follow every piece of advice I would be dead. When my thyroid gave me trouble, the Dr listened to the EMT that took my history, and since they guy thought that the depression symptoms were the most relevant, they wanted to give me antidepressants for a month and if there was no change, do a thyroid test. I told her NO! I wanted the blood test first and if my Thyroid was fine I would take the drugs. The next day I was called to rush to the ER because my thyroid levels were the worst she had ever seen. Of course, I didn't go because if had waited this far, another day was not going to kill me. The next day I started treatment. You have to be your best advocate.