Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How To Remove Perfume Odors From Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-remove-perfume-odors-fabric-t316353.html)

JENNR8R 09-12-2021 05:20 AM

How To Remove Perfume Odors From Fabric?

I am sensitive to odors and frequently, when given something made from fabric, it is permeated with the smell of perfume. I'm not sure how it gets on there. I know every time I visit my brother's home, everything in my suitcase smells. Some households just reek of their perfume odors.

I've just been given a beautiful Vera Bradley bag that I love, but it fills the room with a perfume odor. I tried washing it with white vinegar, but it didn't help. Unless I can get the odor out, I won't be able to keep it.

Do you have a tried and true remedy?

Chasing Hawk 09-12-2021 05:22 AM

Maybe a bowl of vinegar placed in a large plastic container along with the handbag, cover and leave undisturbed for a few days.

lberna 09-12-2021 05:36 AM

I’m with you on perfume odors. I use unscented detergent and dryer sheets. I will not burn scented candles. When two of my grandchildren come over, the odor from the fabric softener their parents use just fills the house. I’m not allergic to the odors, I just do not like them. I wish I could help you with this problem.

sewbizgirl 09-12-2021 05:36 AM

Have you tried hanging it outside for a few days to 'air' out? I am the same way with scents. Can't even stand anything that's been washed and dried with a fabric softener sheet.

cashs_mom 09-12-2021 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8507438)
Have you tried hanging it outside for a few days to 'air' out? I am the same way with scents. Can't even stand anything that's been washed and dried with a fabric softener sheet.

I second hanging it outside in the fresh air and sunshine. If it still has some scent, you might put it in a plastic bag with a bowl of baking soda. That often absorbs odors.

Tartan 09-12-2021 07:33 AM

Try a nylon filled with unscented kitty litter to help absorb odor or try a container of baking soda zipped inside? Both are suggested for nasty boots and sneakers.

bearisgray 09-12-2021 07:39 AM

My sister bought a comforter at a thrift store - she tried airing it, sunlight, vinegar - still smelled very strong -
she ended up using Febreze (with a light scent) to tame the strong fragrance.

Onebyone 09-12-2021 08:00 AM

Take it to the drycleaners. I take my Vera Bradly totes there and have had about everything spilled in them and some really smelled when forgotten and left to dry. LOL

juliasb 09-12-2021 10:34 AM

I made a small pouch and filled it with activated charcoal I purchased at a pet shop. That will absorb most any order. Place the pouch in the bottom of the bag and give it a few days. I keep a pouch in the case for my Feather Weight. This was a place with a heavy odor and now it is very mild. It should do great for a perfume odor.

sewingpup 09-12-2021 10:40 AM

I did not know how much scented things bothered me until I went back to colledge and shared an apartment with someone who liked scented things. Yikes! I apparently had eliminated most scented things from my life.