Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How we title our post, or the lack of it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-we-title-our-post-lack-t48458.html)

dsb38327 06-05-2010 07:50 AM

Have we drifted into using adjectives instead of nouns to name many of our post or has it always been like it is now?
I feel like I miss many informative post. I do not have time to read them all so I skip the post named with only adjectives and read the post described with nouns.
Does anyone else find them selves in the same position and wish more post had the subject matter noun in the title?

cjomomma 06-05-2010 08:03 AM

I find myself doing the same thing. Skipping a post because it doesn't sound interesting then looking at it later and wondering why I didn't see it the first time.

littlehud 06-05-2010 08:03 AM

I agree. That way I'm not missing something I would otherwise read.

Quilter7x 06-05-2010 08:06 AM

I do the same thing, if I'm in a hurry and the title doesn't say much, I skip right over it. If a thread title was "Need help" rather than "Need help with binding" or "Need help with a quilting design", etc., it would be better. :)

sueisallaboutquilts 06-05-2010 08:53 AM

Dorothy- you bring up a very good point. I read somewhere the other day that we need to be more specific. I tend to do what you do also and I don't want to miss anything!! :)

nlgh 06-05-2010 09:21 AM

If the title is not specific enough to catch my interest, I slso will skip it. Some times when I have gone back to a list, I have clicked on some of those and they are quite interesting. It would save us all time if we could immediately know what the ? is.

virtualbernie 06-05-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I do the same thing, if I'm in a hurry and the title doesn't say much, I skip right over it. If a thread title was "Need help" rather than "Need help with binding" or "Need help with a quilting design", etc., it would be better. :)

ditto for me too! I missed out on a great cat applique pattern once. I still don't have time to go through each and every post--I already spend 1/2 my day on here as it is! :-D

2wheelwoman 06-05-2010 11:03 AM

I agree too. If it's vague, or just a "teaser" like "Guess What?" I'm skipping over it, and probably missing some good stuff.

craftybear 06-05-2010 12:32 PM

I agree we need to have the subject line about what the thread will be about more specific, come on quilters and lets all do a better job with our subject lines

Lisa T 06-05-2010 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I agree too. If it's vague, or just a "teaser" like "Guess What?" I'm skipping over it, and probably missing some good stuff.

I usually skip the ones that aren't specific, too. If they are in pictures I might be a little more prone to look at a vague one, but for the most part, I just don't bother.