Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hurricane Irene (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hurricane-irene-t147791.html)

karen924 08-25-2011 09:52 AM

Anyone out there prepaing for Irene's visit? I picked up batteries, baby wipes, and bottled water yesterday. Almost trampled by all the back to schoolers.

Rebecca VLQ 08-25-2011 09:53 AM

Geez, Karen....I feel like I *should* but then again, we're 2.5 hours in from the coast...how bad could it be? I know we'll probably get a bunch of rain.

erstan947 08-25-2011 10:03 AM

When Katrina hit, in the gulf Northern Mississippi was without elect. For a good while. At least plan for power outage.

Cyn 08-25-2011 10:07 AM

This evening my hubby and I are bringing in all the plants, furniture and things that can fly! We keep all the other stuff ready all the time. With 7 animals, we'll just hunker down and hope the weather is cooler when/if the power goes out :) I'll gladly give up 2 fridges of food if the windows and roof will stay intact :)This was to be our weekend to rest and relax finally after a very busy summer- oh well. Best laid plans......

Quilter7x 08-25-2011 10:11 AM

DH and I will bring in the patio umbrella, lawn chairs and anything else that might blow away. He's going to get gas for the generator just in case we lose power. And I'm hoping he goes to the grocery store tomorrow for some food (he's retired and I work.) He loves going to the grocery store, so let him go be with the crowds.

karen924 08-25-2011 10:12 AM

Keep watching the weather channel. I don't plan on boarding up, but I do expect to lose power. I'll make a decision tomorrow about how much outdoor stuff needs to be brought inside. We just moved and I'm a little concerned about flooding since we just moved and the garage looks like a warehouse...don't want those cardboard boxes getting wet bottoms

karen924 08-25-2011 10:13 AM

I'm looking for dry ice for the freezer and should stock up on ice for coolers

xray_a 08-25-2011 10:14 AM

tomorrow morning on my way home from work, I will be stopping to pick up bottled water, baby wipes, some non-perishables that also don't need to be cooked or heated, some batteries and some candles. I don't think it will be too bad here since I'm 2 hours from the coast, but I want to be prepared in case we lose power.

karen924 08-25-2011 10:27 AM

redcross.org/safeandwell

This is the site for finding loved ones after the storm. Red Cross uploads lists of people staying in their shelters. pass it on

Maggiesmom 08-25-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Geez, Karen....I feel like I *should* but then again, we're 2.5 hours in from the coast...how bad could it be? I know we'll probably get a bunch of rain.

Don't know where you are, but I remember when I lived there one came all across as far as Winston-Salem and caused damage. Hugo, I think.