Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am in a baddddd slump! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-baddddd-slump-t148439.html)

gzuslivz 08-28-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
why do you feel it is necessary to always be quilting? I haven't touched my machine all summer, and it is a machine I bought last Sept, one that I could finally learn to embroidery with. And I haven't even tried to do that yet! Instead, I have enjoyed outside activities, a lot of reading on my Kindle, or the QB, and saving up interesting quilt patterns. Come the dreary days of winter, I'll get back to sewing. It is a hobby, not something I feel I have to be doing all the time.

For me, a slump is something that doesn't feel good. It sounds like you are okay with spells of not quilting. When I am in a slump, my head and my heart are at odds.I want to quilt but lack any motivation, for example. I have times where I don't do much sewing because I'm reading, but I'm fine with it. Other times, it doesn't feel good. That's when I need something to spark the desire again.

lots2do 08-28-2011 08:49 AM

When this happens to me, it usually means I'm overwhelmed with something else in my life or overtired.

redvette54 08-28-2011 09:08 AM

Setting goals for myself helps.

mom-6 08-28-2011 10:22 AM

I've found that doing something totally different can help me get going again. So I typically have projects of several different kinds going on.
Of course it doesn't always work out as planned! Was going to try to get a few more of the small trees out of the way of where I want the extension of my driveway to be. Tackled one that was a little too big (and turned out to be too hard as well) and broke my big loppers. So now I can't do any more on that until I get to a garden center for new loppers.

Stitchnripper 08-28-2011 10:38 AM

I get in slumps, or lulls, all the time. Same with knitting. Sometimes I can't bear not to have a project going, and sometimes, I can't bear to start one! I think sometimes we go in cycles.

Gramof6 08-28-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
why do you feel it is necessary to always be quilting? I haven't touched my machine all summer, and it is a machine I bought last Sept, one that I could finally learn to embroidery with. And I haven't even tried to do that yet! Instead, I have enjoyed outside activities, a lot of reading on my Kindle, or the QB, and saving up interesting quilt patterns. Come the dreary days of winter, I'll get back to sewing. It is a hobby, not something I feel I have to be doing all the time.

Carol I think you hit the nail on the head. I used to be on another forum for a brief time and they tried to convince me that I needed to be sewing every single day & not letting things just sit in the studio. I quit that forum because they were so hard core. Maybe a part of that has stayed inside my head. I mean the stuff is not going anywhere. So it is "okay" to not be in there using my sewing thigns everyday? I do have a project on order that I am so very excited about! When it arrives, I think that will be the jumpstart I need to get recced up again. Thank You all so very much for your replies. I feel more normal now. :thumbup: In the warm months I do love to work outside, go to the grands ballgames, read, run around with my DH during his slow time from work. I do not like cold wind which we do have here so colder months is my best time to stay in and sew or quilt. I love to handquilt but who can tolerate a quilt up in their lap handquilting when it is 110 degrees out? Not me! :D Thanks again. Yall are the best!

QUILTNMO 08-28-2011 05:22 PM

i think summers are hard as there are so many other things to do just make a small wallhanging even xmas ornaments and before long youll be back in groove

tsnana2000 08-28-2011 05:32 PM

I go through times like that. Sometimes its because I am putting off doing somthing I think will be hard or when I am "mad" at my quilt - meaning it isn't going like I want. I just give it time and do other things. Sooner or later I get back to it.

wolfkitty 08-28-2011 07:05 PM

Find something really easy, even just a pillow case or something like that. Or a 'Racing stripes' quilt top. Just something that you can accomplish without a lot of effort. That may get you started.

trisha 08-28-2011 07:25 PM

I just look at all the beautiful pics of quilts on the board and that gives me plenty of inspiration and motivation!!!