Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-can-make-quilt-tops-but-what-about-quilting-t90432.html)

QuiltnCowgirl 01-14-2011 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I've made miniature quilts with decorative stitching.

That is very pretty. Thanks for the picture. From the looks of the stitching you have a newer machine than mine. No loopty loop stitches from mine. Some nice scallops, diamonds, blanket stitches, etc. though. Will be playing around with it some more.

janRN 01-14-2011 02:57 PM

I cannot FMQ. I can't and no amount of practice has helped me--I feel really stupid. I draw whatever shapes or designs I want to quilt on my quilt top then use just straight stitching and follow the lines. I've done hearts, circles, holly & berries, you name it--it can be done. Whenever a book comes out called FMQ for Dummies my picture will be on the cover!! Try drawing and stitching on your lines. Hopefully you'll do better with FMQ than I ever have. Good luck!!

nativetexan 01-14-2011 03:52 PM

can you take a machine quilting class before late March? that may give you some help and ideas.

Jennifer22206 01-14-2011 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The machine I did that on was a 2002(?) Singer.

The machine I did this on is an older White. I just did wavy lines with it. I have no idea how to FMQ on the White.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-14-2011 06:15 PM

This is such a great thread. Thanks so much!!!! :D
I'm bookmarking it as I'm really wanting to learn to FMQ. Like Jill, I've always quilted by hand and I need to learn the other so I can get more things finished!!! :D:D

Jingle 01-14-2011 07:13 PM

I was determined to learn FMQ, meandering or large stipple, whatever it is called. The more I do it the better I get. After the quilt is washed and dryed and put on a bed, I think to myself, that doesn't look so bad after all. We are our worst critics. I'm sure they will love the quilts because you made them.
I don't try anything in particular as I think it would detract from the quilt.

indycatcarol 01-14-2011 08:35 PM

Do you have a pic of the quilt/quilts you need to quilt? Maybe then we could give you more ideas.

Cyn 01-14-2011 08:52 PM

I feel ya! I want to master fmq so bad but it isn't happening for me. I must try to find someone to teach me in person. I learn better that way :)

QuiltnCowgirl 01-14-2011 09:04 PM

Well - got good news tonight...the February wedding has been changed to April 30th. So now both weddings are in April. I'm going to fiddle around on my own until then to see what I can learn about FMQ. Also going to concentrate on getting both quilt tops done by March 1st, take the FMQ class at my LQS in March, and hopefully be able to use what I've learned to finish the quilts in April.

Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful suggestions. Got some great ideas, found out I'm not alone in not knowing a thing about FMQ, and enjoyed sharing with everyone in the process. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

MadQuilter 01-14-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Some nice scallops, diamonds, blanket stitches, etc. though. Will be playing around with it some more.

There's the spirit. I made a wall hanging - sorry no pics - but used two different fancy stitches in the sashing. Even used variegated contrast thread to really show the stitches. It looks like I added embroidery to the quilt.

I didn't read what pattern you are making. If it has distinct geometrics (squares, triangles) you can quilt a straight line about 1/4" in from each line so when all is done you have quilted a square in a square or a triangle in a triangle. That looks cool too.