Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I can think of hundreds of reasons why... (re: garlic) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-can-think-hundreds-reasons-why-re-garlic-t129755.html)

Favorite Fabrics 06-11-2011 03:32 PM

... why NOT to let my garlic go to seed ever again.

And they are lying on the compost heap now.

Can someone tell me whether I will regret putting them there, and not putting those hundreds of garlic volunteers in a trash bag for off-site removal?

If buried deep enough under the rest of the season's weeds, will they give up? Or have I just relocated my problem to another area of the yard?

I'm concerned that all those little bulbs will just start up again in the fall, or next year.

:|

erstan947 06-11-2011 03:33 PM

But I like garlic:)

QuiltingNinaSue 06-11-2011 03:35 PM

Would love to have what you are throwing away...love garlic in our garden, to eat, to pulse in a blender and use it on plants to kill bugs. PM me if you want to throw it my way.

gerswin 06-11-2011 03:36 PM

garlic is good for you and tastes great in moderation

Chele 06-11-2011 03:38 PM

I would have sent you a self-addressed, stamped envelope! Fresh garlic, swoon!

LoriEl 06-11-2011 03:38 PM

I love garlic, too. What's the problem? I didn't even know it would grow up there. My DBF has a garden near Plattsburgh, are you telling me he can grow garlic?

nycquilter 06-11-2011 03:42 PM

the belief in our home is there is NEVER NEVER enough garlic! it is good in everything and wonderfully healthy. most important though it is delish in and on almost anything--try garlic honey, put a handful of peeled and smooshed slightly cloves in honey, leave headroom! stir and eat on toast, a spoon, in cooking, especially Chinese foods. YUM

Favorite Fabrics 06-11-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
I love garlic, too. What's the problem? I didn't even know it would grow up there. My DBF has a garden near Plattsburgh, are you telling me he can grow garlic?

He probably can! This stuff that I'm growing is really, REALLY hardy. My mother got it from a friend of mine some 25 years ago... and now we are both growing it. My friend gave up on gardening and turned his plot to grass, but says that it still smells like garlic when he mows there.

We are the colder part of zone 5. My garlic has never shown any signs of even the slightest winter damage, so if Plattsburgh is zone 4, there shouldn't be any problem.

LoriEl 06-11-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Originally Posted by LoriEl

He probably can! This stuff that I'm growing is really, REALLY hardy. My mother got it from a friend of mine some 25 years ago... and now we are both growing it. My friend gave up on gardening and turned his plot to grass, but says that it still smells like garlic when he mows there.

We are the colder part of zone 5. My garlic has never shown any signs of even the slightest winter damage, so if Plattsburgh is zone 4, there shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks! We(mostly HE) just finished his 24x24 garden and he is really the one that introduced me to using "real" garlic. Did you start from seeds or maybe I should just search for it?

Parrothead 06-11-2011 04:53 PM

You won't have any gophers around. Send garlic my way, love it. I worked in No. Calif. for several years in the town next to Gilroy, CA which is the Garlic Capital. They have a fair once a year and you can buy garlic in everything imaginable, wine, ice cream, etc. At certain times of the year when you come into town the smell is overwhelming. Too much can be a bad thing. There are a lot of processing plants in the area as well. I love roasted garlic done with the big elephant garlic.