Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I get to buy a house!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-get-buy-house-t90569.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 01-14-2011 06:09 PM

That's really exciting!! I've always had to "find a house" b/c of a company move and it's not the same as having time to find just what you want.
I'm so happy for you!!!!!! Keep us posted :D

luv-e 01-14-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'll tell you what I told my kids to do.

First, go to that house and look at the neighborhood at all hours of the day and well into the night. Go there on weekends and listen and look at the kids.

THEN go to the police department and ask if that is a good neighborhood, and if they've had many calls from that area and what they were for. Drugs you don't want in your back yard, it will only get worse as time goes on.

Meet some of the neighbors BEFORE you sign any thing at all. Ask what they think of the neighborhood and would they buy there again.

Drive around several streets, look at how all the houses are being maintained.

Then when everything checks out, you can sign and move into your dream home.
Good luck.

I totally agree with Ramona........I've helped several people buy a home and she hit this on the head.........Neighbor's are everything.........If you go to a gated community, read the by-laws there too........ You will enjoy your home so much more in the future.......Best of luck...............

BluegrassGurl 01-14-2011 06:25 PM

Congratulations!!! Best wishes on finding "the one"!

littlehud 01-14-2011 06:51 PM

Congrats. I can't wait to see what you find. Keep us posted.

Jingle 01-14-2011 06:52 PM

Good luck, I sure hope you buy the right for you house. Watch some of the shows on HGTV, lots of helpful pointers to get your house sold. Like take down all family pictures, all personal knick knacks, declutter, move out excess furniture and such, you want them to look at the house not your stuff. Make sure you have the house priced right, try and find out what other comparable houses in your neighborhood has sold for and price yours close to that price.

franie 01-14-2011 06:57 PM

How exciting!

Scissor Queen 01-14-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I'll tell you what I told my kids to do.

First, go to that house and look at the neighborhood at all hours of the day and well into the night. Go there on weekends and listen and look at the kids.

THEN go to the police department and ask if that is a good neighborhood, and if they've had many calls from that area and what they were for. Drugs you don't want in your back yard, it will only get worse as time goes on.

Meet some of the neighbors BEFORE you sign any thing at all. Ask what they think of the neighborhood and would they buy there again.

Drive around several streets, look at how all the houses are being maintained.

Then when everything checks out, you can sign and move into your dream home.
Good luck.

A good neighborhood is no indication there aren't any drugs. The town we're moving to is pretty small so I'm sure all the realtors are familiar with good and bad neighborhoods.

Scissor Queen 01-14-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
Good luck, I sure hope you buy the right for you house. Watch some of the shows on HGTV, lots of helpful pointers to get your house sold. Like take down all family pictures, all personal knick knacks, declutter, move out excess furniture and such, you want them to look at the house not your stuff. Make sure you have the house priced right, try and find out what other comparable houses in your neighborhood has sold for and price yours close to that price.

I don't have to sell a house!! All I have to do is pack and move!!

brushandthimble 01-14-2011 07:17 PM

When we were looking we made the rounds of alot of open houses. DH saw this one without me and I went the next day with the kids and made an offer on the way home. Good luck, will be waiting for updates.

Airwick156 01-14-2011 07:17 PM

Congratulations!!! Make sure you get one with a sewing room as big as you would ever want it to be in future years. That way you will be happy with the size and not just settle for a small room. I want a sewing room as big as the house is. LOL