Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I have to backtrack and also apologize :? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-have-backtrack-also-apologize-t147449.html)

SueSew 08-24-2011 03:51 AM

You were right before, too! You're just changing your means and methods to deal with the invasion!
Of course, out there in the country the ants probably don't get much in the way of store-bought food LOL Your cottage is now a five-star dining establishment in the Ant Times
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Hope you got through the quake ok

Carrie Jo 08-24-2011 03:57 AM

We have those darn ants this year. My father in law is a exterminator and he says its a bad year for them. He sprayed twice and I still see them once in awhile. Maybe a good freeze will kill them ...lol

luvTooQuilt 08-24-2011 04:11 AM

We had them this year too.. WOW there was alot of them!!! :shock: :shock: they came in a window sill ledge and i noticed them crawling on my potted plants... I sprayed the Raid ant killer and those dies immediately.. Sucked them DA right up with the vac 30 min later wanted to give them time to die! ... 3 hours later I see more DA carcass's and a few trying to save the others but struggling thru the poison.. took out the vac again and sucked them up too.. again a few hours later it looked like a war zone happened more dead DA.. What a pain and totally gross... I pull out the vac, this time Im leaving it out.. for five days I had to vac the dead DA.. Im happy ti say those persistent lil buggers are no longer persistent- either I killed them all or they just gave up trying to come in..Whew..

good luck in getting rid of them... find the source and block it off..

raedar63 08-24-2011 04:17 AM

I have ant problems, My granny always swore that cornmeal and whole cloves would take care of them.

charity-crafter 08-24-2011 04:19 AM

We use Home Defence Max around the outside of the house and inside. We start spraying in the spring right after the snow melts and reapply outside after every major rain.

qbquilts 08-24-2011 04:20 AM

I've had ant problems this year (in my living room, not my kitchen!) and so has my mom. What finally worked for both of us were the Terro pre-filled liquid ant bait traps. Good luck getting rid of them!

michelehuston 08-24-2011 04:29 AM

Somehow..knock on wood..this is the first year I have not had ants. Had a nasty and I mean NASTY infestation of Box Elm Bugs...got some spray from Lowes and thank goodness they are gone!! Maybe the beb ate the ants? I don't know but the bugs have been bad this year!!! Hope the earthquake managed to drive them deep underground!! Good luck!!

quiltinghere 08-24-2011 04:53 AM

Ants were bad in our area this year.

I sprinkled a granular bug killer around the perimeter of the house and that helped.

I also used good old fashioned Raid at the window sill where they were coming in.

Haven't seen any in 2 months...knocking on wood here.

Chicca 08-24-2011 04:55 AM

Not to long ago, we had ants in the kitchen area and horribly on the back porch. My mother in law said to put out Cream of Wheat. Supposedly when they eat it and take it back to the nest it swells up and the pesky ants literally explode. I know that all of the Cream of Wheat was gone within a short while and I have only seen a few ants outside the back porch area. I hope that you find a solution that will work for you soon.

Crqltr 08-24-2011 04:56 AM

We are having a tough time getting rid of them this year also. Got rid of them inside but they are in my flower beds. I was weeding and looked down, my feet were covered with them, they bit the heck out of them. Arches and ankles mostly..very painful today...really hope the sting goes away pretty soon!!