Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I have a challenge for everyone, not quilting.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-have-challenge-everyone-not-quilting-t167183.html)

MarySews 11-16-2011 05:28 PM

I try to compliment parents on their kids behavior --even if it is not perfect -- you can tell they are working at it.
I always mention it in Church -- I know how hard it is to get everyone out the door on Sunday morning.

vwquilting 11-16-2011 05:36 PM

We lost a friend a couple of years ago and he raised the kids . his wife was very nice but he raised the kids. She just played. So I said I would make a quilt in his memory as she asked instead of flowers do a kind deed. I made a quilt and just was not sure what to do with it. So I decided to make all 3 married kids a quilt. All in their own theme. Well I never heard from any of them. All on face book with me. I asked if they had gotten them and one said yes. Well I know they were all in the same box. Later I realised her sister makes beautiful quilts. She has a business and has quilting machines and embroidery machines. Now I feel pretty stupid for sending them my home made quilts. How ever my hubby has the one I was originally made and he looks great in bed in it. Funny how things come about.

Pat G 11-16-2011 06:00 PM

I'm a little embarrassed to tell this story but I was able to really help a friend yest. who flew to Ariz. from Minnesota for the winter. She's been very sick but came anyway. I picked her & husb. up from the airport shuttle 25 miles away. She didn't know I was going to but I bought groceries for them to get them thru breakfast the next day. I had also made them a big pot of soup but because she was too weak to stop for dinner on the way home as planned, they ate it that night. She hadn't had any appetite since she'd had recent surg. but she said the smell of that soup was so good she ate a big bowl. It's really hard to return every season & have to open your place & deal with problems that occurred over the hot summer.

vwquilting 11-16-2011 06:28 PM

My hubby and I were in Rockport Mass. A vacation area and we had never been there. We were only married 3 years and I had never really been out of my home town. We were in a gift shop with our new baby and I saw a beautiful Irish Knit sweater. I fell in Love. The woman saw my delight and asked if I would like to purchase it? I said, Oh no we could never afford it. It was $10.00. She took it from me and left. She returned with it all wrapped up and said,"take it home and send me what you can when you can". I was scared so I took it saying thank you but had no idea how I could pay for it. She smiled and said you will. I know you will. I took it home and payed her money I saved with coupons and bottle returns. It took months But I did it., That was 43 years ago. About 25 years ago we took our children out there and went into the shop and mentioned it to the clerk figuring she was gone. Come to find out she did this quite often and never got burned and she was the owner and still was doing it . How wonderful. 43 years later I still have the sweater.

Tropical 11-16-2011 07:03 PM

I'm pretty much house bound now, but I do try to do or say something nice to at least one person or more whenever I do get out. This morning at the doctor's office a young man sat down close to me. He seemed very tired because he kept yawning loudly and stretching and appeared very uncomfortable. After several minutes, I commented that some mornings it is just so hard to wake up. We started chatting and by the time he was called for his appointment, he was awake and smiling and told me to have a good day. That wasn't much of an effort on my part, but I think he felt better before he had to see the doctor.

When we lived in Michigan, I was a teacher. Whenever it snowed, I had to scrape the snow off of my car. Often several inches covered it so that I had a hard time finding mine in the parking lot. I used to choose another car besides mine to clean off before I left for home. I never told anyone. I just imagined the smile on the owner's face when they discovered their snowless vehicle. One day I was caught in the act by a couple of other teachers who told me they had been wondering who was wielding the snow brush so generously. They thanked me and said it was a very nice thing to do. We were all happy. :)

HisPatchwork 11-16-2011 09:35 PM

My DGD wanted to ride one of the cars at the front of the store. There was another little girl sitting in the 2-seater, so I gave them both a ride. Her big brother (9or10?}and smaller brother just watched. I took out another 50 cents so the little boy could ride. There was 50 cents in the coin return, so I used that for their ride and gave the older child 50 cents to play one of the game of his choice. I remembered being a single mom without and change to spare for my kids to ride.