Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I was just asked to teach 2 young girls how to sew. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-just-asked-teach-2-young-girls-how-sew-t269076.html)

Veinurse 08-22-2015 12:07 PM

I was just asked to teach 2 young girls how to sew.

The one girl, 10 said her grandma was teaching her but she just had her "sewing boring stuff like pot holders not fun stuff like my GD" is sewing. But that is the first thing I did show my GD to make. I feel they need to learn the machine first, then sew straight seams, then move onto a simple skirt.
I am asking for suggestions for classes. Has anyone taught a class? I have taught both of the GD's and a GS sewing but not a class. The other girl is 12.
Thank You!

Tartan 08-22-2015 01:21 PM

The pillowcase with the enclosed seams is usually popular with young people. Pick cute fabrics and the sewing is fairly simple, quick and they have a take home project to use. I just saw an ad for Minion fabric, they would love that.

PurplePassion 08-22-2015 01:29 PM

Some type of tote bag, or drawstring bag. Or a throw pillow.

quiltingcandy 08-22-2015 02:04 PM

I learned to sew by hand first, then my mother taught me to the use the machine when I was 8 years old. But she taught me so I could sew my Barbie clothes. Why not ask the girls what they want to make and then go from there. If you find out the goal is to make clothes then let them know that will take time and they need to start with the basics. If you have a pattern to show them why it takes time. If you get too detailed or pick things they care nothing about then they will be bored and lose interest. Even in HomeEc we chose our own pattern.

Have fun!

sweet 08-22-2015 03:04 PM

A beach tote sounds good. We began with aprons, not sure how much they would like that. Maybe have them pick out a tote pattern for them to make as a gift for their Mom's.

dunster 08-22-2015 03:08 PM

I wouldn't want to take over from the grandma who is teaching the girl to sew. That's quality time for them to spend together. Instead I'd suggest that the girl finish up the projects she's started (she probably hasn't and that's why she's looking for another teacher) and then ask for something more interesting to her. Explain to her that everyone needs to start with the basics, and that's what the grandma is teaching her. Then she can quickly move on to other projects.

Veinurse 08-22-2015 04:08 PM

Thank you Dunstar, that is the help I was looking for. It was the mom's who asked my DIL. I think it is the former MIL that was teaching the granddaughter and I certainly do not want to interfere there. Since she is my granddaughter's friend maybe I can just have her visit with Ava and we can sew together, in this way I am not stepping on toes and she has new ideas, like all suggested.

joysewer 08-22-2015 04:22 PM

I have taught a class of girls and one boy to sew. We started out with a square pincushion. Just 2 squares of fabric and stuff them so they can use them for their pins. Then we made simple tote bags. The class ended with pillowcases and the older, teenage kids made simple pajama bottoms for themselves. I went over all parts of the machine and the sewing notions first and then they had to stitch on paper with no thread before sewing on fabric.

Teacup 08-22-2015 04:40 PM

I agree you need to step carefully when in another grandmother's territory.

But that aside, early first projects kids enjoy, especially if they get to pick the fabric, are the pillowcase as mentioned. Also try a pair of sleeping pants/boxers that can be teamed with a store-bought t-shirt or tank top. The sleeping pants have long simple seams and they'll learn to hem and make a waistline with elastic casing. And if it's not perfect, who cares...they wear them at home to bed! If they are interested in clothes, I'd then do a simple skirt. Piecing a simple 9-patch pillow with colors to match their room is fun. And...if they don't have a very big window in their bedroom, you could do very simple curtains that gather onto a rod. They'll have a lot of pride in creating something for their own room. Then maybe on to a lap quilt!

calla 08-22-2015 05:35 PM

There have been good comments, early on I purchased those red bandanas 2 of them. I stitched the sides making side seams, and made a neck opening and stitched shoulder seams. It was easy, and I had a garment. But seems like little girls now mature faster than I did.......it worked for me at that time as I was flat chested. Calla