Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I love the internet because..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-love-internet-because-t304864.html)

1000scraps 05-23-2019 01:52 AM

I love the internet because.....

..... without it I wouldn't know how much good things one can do with sewing, crotcheting, knitting.....
I found so much groups or persons who sew and donate many things for charity:

the Heart Pillow action for women/men suffering from breast cancer

the preemiequilt action: little quilts for far too early born babys

knitting or crotcheting head coverings for women/men who lost their hair after chemotherapy

sewing little bags for children with Hickman catheter: HickyBags

knitting wristlets for older people, because they often suffer from cold fingers

Fidget Quilts or as we say "Nesteldecken" for patients who suffer from dementia: their fingers are always searching for something to twiddle with!

Knitting warm keeping wool socks for the homeless....

And so on, I think there are many other actions round the world! I love to see what other groups are doing especially on pinterest!
And I would love to what else there is perhaps in USA, what kind of charity is there popular?

Many greetings from Regina

Without the internet, facebook, google, newsgroups, forum.... I never would have heard of all these these things!

JustAbitCrazy 05-23-2019 04:00 AM

....because it saves me so many trips to the library, where I would previously go to look up things of interest. It's like having a library at home which is open 24/7, and I can search in my nightgown if I want.
Linus Quilts are big here, as are Quilts of Valor for veterans.

Tartan 05-23-2019 04:29 AM

​Many great things on the net and YouTube.

tranum 05-23-2019 04:34 AM

Agree ! Can someone recommend a closed Facebook group for charity sewing ?

Cheri_J 05-23-2019 05:00 AM

The internet has brought the world to me.

MaryMo 05-23-2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cheri_J (Post 8256725)
The internet has brought the world to me.

So true . . . and so well said!!

zennia 05-23-2019 09:26 AM

when I can't sleep I can travel the world by internet. Love it.

jmoore 05-24-2019 03:18 AM

The only down side is...I’d probably get more done in my sewing room if I wasn’t surfing the internet as much. LOL ��
I have made great strides (my new year’s resolution) in limiting my time to two cups of coffee in the morning.

Battle Axe 05-24-2019 03:24 AM

As a kid I felt isolated in a small valley in Modoc County, Calif. There was literally nothing out there. We moved there when I was 2 1/2, no road, no electricity, no running water, no mail, no phone, certainly no opportunity. I could only read about it in books and magazines. Gradually we got a road which was not paved until 1973. Well was not deep enough and so we had to haul drinking water, take the clothes eleven miles to wash them, go 3 miles to pick up mail.

With the internet, I feel as if I have joined the human race.

carolynjo 05-24-2019 04:56 AM

Hey,Battle axe. I feel like we grew in similar situations. We had no electricity or running water when I was growing up. We relied on the well on the back porch for water and we used kerosene lamps for reading and studying. I never knew I was limited in any way. I learned to read before I went to public school so I never felt deprived. I think the single greatest gift we can give anyone is the gift of reading. I am sad when I hear someone say they don't like to read. As a teacher, I used all sorts of "tricks" to encourage students to read. I once had an 8th grader who bragged that she had never read a whole book. I set out to change that without her realizing it. I went to an International Reading Association meeting and had a nationally known author autograph a book for her. That student came in the next morning bleary-eyed. She said it was the best book she had ever read and did I have any more like that. "I had her then." She would happily read any book I recommended after that.

Because I had read so widely, my students thought I had read every book in the library. I challenged them to read the first 5 pages of any book and if it didn't grab them, bring it back and try something else. My advanced students had to read 2 books a week. One nursing later told me that she was never challenged by any reading material because of that class.