Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I need help with pricing for embrodery work! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-need-help-pricing-embrodery-work-t230988.html)

Rhonda Lee 09-24-2013 11:39 AM

I need help with pricing for embrodery work!

I'm doing the embroidery work for a celtic costume. Retail they sell $1000 and upwards. I am not doing the garment part of the costume. Any suggestions? I have enjoyed doing this but it has really been a challenge. Very work intensive. Do I charge per hooping, design time, computer time? I don't think I could charge by the hour. Any help would on this would be appreciated. Thank you..as always this is the go to place.

Tartan 09-24-2013 12:03 PM

Add up all your supplies first, thread, stabilizer etc. Perhaps one of machine embroidery people will tell what they charge for a complex design. What size were the designs?

QuiltE 09-24-2013 12:28 PM

A local person here charges .... based on the number of stitches.

Sorry, but I can't remember what the rate is.

Rhonda Lee 09-24-2013 12:30 PM

The whole costume contains designs on the sleeves, wrap around bodice to the back, collars front and back, an attached piece that goes on the back and satin stitching in various places. There are repeat designs and designs large enough to require 2 hoopings that had to be connected. Because of the repeats there are a lot of color stops. I feel ok when I do this stuff for me but when it is for someone else there is a lot of anxiety. It is looking really good though.

krafty14 09-24-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6311767)
A local person here charges .... based on the number of stitches.

Sorry, but I can't remember what the rate is.

I saw this also. Most embroidery machines tell you how many stitches in the design. So they charge so much per stitch. I used to have a price list, but can't find it. Sorry :o(

lynnie 09-24-2013 01:33 PM

I was a professional emb. we would chg $5 set up and $1/1,000 stitches. that was on a Tajima 15 needle machine (you didn't have to change the thread colors. a big timesaver.) hope this helps
since we were buying in bulk for backing and topping, we didn't chg. I did caskets

Quilty-Louise 09-24-2013 01:58 PM

I know that many embroiders change $x per 1000 stitches.

For me I have a request to stitch a peacock feather on 8-12
dinner napkins. I will be charging $1.20 per/m stitches and the
design will have 7-15k stitches.

The price will be determined by the actual design that will be chosen.

PaperPrincess 09-24-2013 02:02 PM

I also use the $1/1,000 stitches (plus $0.50 per color change because I don't have a multi head machine). The price you come up with will be amazing... The down side is it sounds like you have already completed the work. Hindsight is always 20/20 but the price should have been agreed to before you started.

Rhonda Lee 09-25-2013 06:21 AM

Thank you all for your kind relplies, this helps me with a place to start. And yes!!! Prices should of been negotiated at the beginning. Live and learn don't we!

gramquilter2 09-26-2013 11:13 AM

A digitizer I know charges by the number of stitches, I think there may be a site on the internet where you can find charges for # of stitches..