Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I need the help of somebody who lives in Fairbanks AK (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-need-help-somebody-who-lives-fairbanks-ak-t154759.html)

gailmitchell 09-21-2011 03:52 PM

I was on a cruisetour recently, and left a small shopping bag of fabric at my hotel in Fairbanks.

The hotel called and said it would cost a lot of money to ship to me by FedEX, so instead of having them send it to me, I need to dispose of it. The hotel can throw it out, but I'd rather give it to a quilter who lives in Fairbanks Alaska, and who likes McKenna Ryan Willow fabrics and some batik scrap pieces. I know there are plenty of you quilters there because you have some really nice quiltshops.

Please PM me.

MTS 09-21-2011 04:18 PM

Seriously????

Just FYI for you.

A flat rate USPS Priority envelope to Canada is under $12.

A medium flat rate box is $27.

Depending on how much it weighs, it could be anywhere in between if send in a non-flat rate envelope.

And I've sent things to Canada via UPS.com that were sometimes cheaper than USPS.

You can easily go online to the website and get an estimate.

It would be nice if they picked up the tab but, ultimately, it's your error.
I don't know the value of the fabric you bought so you have to decide if it's worth it.

If it is, just tell them to charge it your credit card.
Or you can arrange the pickup online yourself.
They won't even have to label the package.
The driver comes with the label.

gailmitchell 09-21-2011 04:30 PM

The hotel agent just called me from the Fedex office and because of the size of the package - which would fit in a 9 x 12 envelope, and while on the phone, they quoted $80. That includes brokerage fees, even though the value is low. The hotel will not send usps because they don't have a process to do collect the postage from me... ug... The package only contains about $25 worth of fabric and a few small keychain sized polar bears, and moose.. So it's not worth shipping it, but I hate for them to throw it away.

MTS 09-21-2011 04:40 PM

If you still want it, you can print out the label and send it to them to attach to a flat rate envelope.

Again, it's your business, but that is one useless hotel clerk.

Wastes time going to the FedEx office but can't figure out how to use USPS.

If you want some help with the label and the stupid little green form he has to send include, I'd be more than happy to help you.

Ridiculous.

Sorry that you won't get to enjoy your fabrics. ;-)

As an aside-
I once left my lovely linen blazer on the chair at breakfast in a hotel.
We got up quickly to grab a cab to the airport.
I called the hotel from the airport when I realized I had left it there.
Took my address and mailed it back to me in NYC.
From Bora Bora.
Wouldn't take a penny for the postage.

gailmitchell 09-21-2011 04:55 PM

Great service from Bora Bora. It sounds like I need to go there sometime. Right after I send this message, I am going to look it up on a map. I am in fact trying to decide on a winter get-away.

Any, at the suggestion of the previous comment, I did try the UPS calculator and the fee was not much different than the Fedex quote. I am positive that there is a minimum brokerage fee that is charged by couriers for processing the paperwork.

This Hotel where I forgot my package is part of the Princess Cruiseline chain, and they have documented procedures that this clerk must follow. They will only send lost/forgotten goods back to their customers by trackable couriers..

I did ask if they would just send USPS, and I will take the risk of the USPS loosing the package, but they are not allowed.

So, it will be a small windfall for a quilter in Fairbanks, if I can find one.

Originally Posted by MTS
If you still want it, you can print out the label and send it to them to attach to a flat rate envelope.

Again, it's your business, but that is one useless hotel clerk.

Wastes time going to the FedEx office but can't figure out how to use USPS.

If you want some help with the label and the stupid little green form he has to send include, I'd be more than happy to help you.

Ridiculous.

Sorry that you won't get to enjoy your fabrics. ;-)

As an aside-
I once left my lovely linen blazer on the chair at breakfast in a hotel.
We got up quickly to grab a cab to the airport.
I called the hotel from the airport when I realized I had left it there.
Took my address and mailed it back to me in NYC.
From Bora Bora.
Wouldn't take a penny for the postage.