Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I pad decision (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-pad-decision-t267243.html)

Mimmis57 07-05-2015 10:47 AM

I pad decision

I pad or Kindle, any thoughts? I would love an I pad but I sure don't want the added expense. Would I be able to access the internet on a kindle or e-reader? Thanks for your help.

quiltingcandy 07-05-2015 11:07 AM

My DD is a 5th grade teacher and they use computers a lot now. They have gone to i-pads now over all the other items. My other DD bought the I-pad mini because she needs the internet in what she does and buys a lot of e-books. They really like that they don't need to buy extra protection like with the others.
Sorry I can't comment on the others because everyone I know that has bought the i-pads over the other items.

mrsponcho1 07-05-2015 11:32 AM

There are several different kinds of Kindles. I bought the one that you can access the internet and you can even take pics with it. I have really enjoyed mine. I wasn't for sure what I wanted, so I went to staples and looked at all the brands that they had in the store. Took my time and just browsed the different options. I live in a small community so don't have many places to shop. Staples and Walmart when it comes to electronics. I knew that I wanted something that was wifi, because I didn't want another bill to pay. I take my Kindle to the library and also take on vacations.

Tartan 07-05-2015 11:35 AM

I just Googled Kindle reviews and a quick read states that it does have a browser but it needs a WiFi connection. It also cannot play videos so Missouri Star and Youtube would be out? Check out some of the reviews to see if it is what you want.
I use an iPad with WiFi to do Quiltingboard (post pictures) YouTube, Missouri Star Quilt co. videos, send and receive email, Face time, Facebook and games. The iPad is not for printing unless you have an air printer.

tessagin 07-05-2015 11:42 AM

I like my Verizon LG tablet 8.3. I have had it for a year and use if for business also. I was fortunate last year we got 2 phones for the price of one and the tablet was free. We have not had trouble with Verizon service or products and I am not getting paid for vouching for this. Just saying this really works for us and I have it with me almost at the hip.

donnai 07-05-2015 11:50 AM

I have a kindle and can access u tube msqc and Netflix with no problem

notmorecraft 07-05-2015 11:52 AM

I have both, but my kindle is paper white and only for reading, ( cause I can read in sunshine or at night when I can't sleep) my friend has kindle fire, but apparently you can't get a lot of the apps avail to other android tablets or iPad, you can only get kindle apps.

Neesie 07-05-2015 12:15 PM

We have both and use the iPad much, much more than the Kindle.

ManiacQuilter2 07-05-2015 12:36 PM

I bought a NuVision from Costco that I am very happy with that is an android tablet for $149 online. Thing seriously what you want this tablet to be able to do.

b.zang 07-05-2015 01:09 PM

Both. An e-reader is best when built for just reading without the back-lighting that comes with colour. A soft white Kindle is quite affordable, leaving you enough for an iPAD as well. iPADs are replacing desktop and laptop computers in many situations. If you buy only one, buy and iPAD.