Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I really blew it :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-really-blew-t48173.html)

gaigai 06-03-2010 05:28 AM

Your files should still be there. Computers don't actually delete files, they just tag them as space available to overwrite. Check the trash/recycle bin, or have a techie retrieve them for you. (The things you learn from Forensic Files! :mrgreen: )

mzsooz 06-03-2010 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
Yep, check your recycling bin on you desktop and see if it's all in there. Hope so!

Oh I've checked. You see when I clean I thoroughly clean. My son-in-law is good with computers so when he wakes up I'm going to see if he can help but I'm pretty sure they are gone.

So, I'm busily downloading more free patterns! :-D

costumegirl 06-03-2010 05:48 AM

Gaigai is right - A techie should be able to help you retrieve them. I did something similar and a friend restored them.

sahm4605 06-03-2010 05:51 AM

its okay, life will go on and you will find better stuff to down load and new pictures to save that were better. I lost all my pics of my DD when she was born. I feel your pain. lost all the stuff on the computer last time it crashed. we still have the hard drive hubby still has to try and salvage it and another one from another computer that I crashed. me and electronics not a good mix.

Deborah12687 06-03-2010 06:04 AM

Sorry you lost all your pictures, I did that to a few times and have recovered them. When files are deleted they go into a vertal file that is part of the operating system. There is software out there to recover the image files. Some of the software is free or a trial or you can buy a recovery program. It will pull up all deleted files. When I used it it brought back all images as far back as 3 years.

Pineapple Princess 06-03-2010 08:09 AM

You can get them back, but STOP downloading stuff! When a computer deletes something, it's not actually gone, it just makes the space "available" when you download stuff, your risking having the file copied over.

marsye 06-03-2010 08:11 AM

Go find Bella Boo!!!! She can help you! Shes good! :thumbup:

Bella Boo Bella Boo!!! Where are you?? :lol:

ginnie6 06-03-2010 08:36 AM

there are some programs that will scan your hard drive for the files. Unless you did a reformat they should be there. I can't remember the name of them.....I used one once to get some pics off a camera card that I had deleted accidently.
I just googled file recovery and came up with a bunch of links. You don't have anything to loose by trying!

Chasing Hawk 06-03-2010 08:43 AM

I did that, with my Itunes. I accidentally deleted my media folder. I spent Memorial weekend downloading 579 songs off of cd's and my Ipod. So as a backup I placed a copy on my husband's computer which we have networked.

Yarn or Fabric 06-03-2010 09:38 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss...
I did that accidentally last week while sorting my files. I will NEVER hard delete again!!!
I had lost my entire folder full of quilts - fortunately it was just that one folder and not all of my patterns...

I started to gather the links and post them on my website as well as download the projects so that I have a back up - and can help others by pattern and tutorial enabling :D