Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I think I did something right!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-think-i-did-something-right-t124121.html)

Momsmurf 05-18-2011 08:08 PM

I have several orchid plants that had been gifted to me in glorious bloom. Amazingly they are still alive...that's saying a lot to begin with...as I tend to kill them with over attention. Now, bear in mind that these orchids are long past their initial blooms.

But this afternoon, as I was watering a spider plant on the table above the orchids, I suddenly notices buds poking out from between the spider plant leaves.........my orchid is going to bloom!!!!!!! Yeah! Must remember to continue the practice of ignoring them and just making sure there is a bit of water at the bottom of the container the pot sits in.
Boy, I do hope my father is looking down on them with a smile, as he used to grow them!

CoyoteQuilts 05-18-2011 08:18 PM

I, too have a 'black' thumb! Of all the flowers the orchid is the one I would love to learn how to grow..... Maybe when I retire.

craftybear 05-18-2011 08:24 PM

that is great

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
I have several orchid plants that had been gifted to me in glorious bloom. Amazingly they are still alive...that's saying a lot to begin with...as I tend to kill them with over attention. Now, bear in mind that these orchids are long past their initial blooms.

But this afternoon, as I was watering a spider plant on the table above the orchids, I suddenly notices buds poking out from between the spider plant leaves.........my orchid is going to bloom!!!!!!! Yeah! Must remember to continue the practice of ignoring them and just making sure there is a bit of water at the bottom of the container the pot sits in.
Boy, I do hope my father is looking down on them with a smile, as he used to grow them!

jaciqltznok 05-18-2011 08:44 PM

orchids are sooooo picky....my dad always sticks his in a dark closet for a few weeks..then bang..they bloom!

Gramie bj 05-18-2011 08:49 PM

My MOM just drops a couple of Ice cubes on her orchad every day or two and it blooms quite often.

Momsmurf 05-18-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
My MOM just drops a couple of Ice cubes on her orchad every day or two and it blooms quite often.

Might have to try that....sounds like the right amount of water!
I do know they like high humidity.
Thanks.

Candace 05-18-2011 09:15 PM

Check out my website www.elkgroveorchids.net

Ouch, please NO on icecube advice. Not the thing to do. Unless you want to buy new plants that is! I grow thousands of orchids in 2 greenhouses. Just say no to ice. LOL.

DebraK 05-18-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Ouch, please NO on icecube advice. Not the thing to do. Unless you want to buy new plants that is! I grow thousands of orchids in 2 greenhouses. Just say no to ice. LOL.

Oh my! Beautiful. Very interesting about the s/h method. Thanks for sharing that.

Momsmurf 05-18-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

One thing nice about living in Southern California...tropical climates............
Beautiful plants.......takes patience!

DebraK 05-19-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf

I'm sure he is. It feels so good to see them rebloom.