Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I thought everyone knew this way to clean under furniture on bare floors. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-thought-everyone-knew-way-clean-under-furniture-bare-floors-t195871.html)

BellaBoo 07-26-2012 08:21 PM

I thought everyone knew this way to clean under furniture on bare floors.

My neighbor saw me doing this and said she had never seen or thought to do it. I use a big old fashioned long handled ostrich feather duster to sweep the floor underneath hard to reach furniture like behind night stands, chairs, sofa, beds, and end tables. Great time and back saver. :) I don't have to try to manipulate a broom under there. The feathers go right next to the legs and in tight places.

Nanamoms 07-26-2012 09:22 PM

I use a long handled wooly duster to clean under my furniture. the handle even swivels/bends to fit good under things. It is the kind using sheep skin (?) not sure what its called but all I do then is shake it out outside to remove the dust bunnies. I'm so allergic to stuff that dusting is hard for me so I can't use anything that just throws the dust off (like dusting my ceiling fans). HOW CAN CEILING FANS GET SO DUSTY WHEN THEY ARE CONSTANTLY ON? LOL

Jingle 07-27-2012 05:17 AM

Great idea, I use a dust mop but, don't think it gets into the small areas. I'm going to buy another long handled duster just for that purpose. Some of us have better imaginations and I am limited by mine. I just go around stealing other people's ideas. Thanks for posting this.

ptquilts 07-27-2012 05:23 AM

also a yard stick with an old sock on the end.

Tartan 07-27-2012 05:57 AM

I have carpet so I have my husband tip the couch up once a month. The dust gets to stay there otherwise. I do love my magnetic fuzzy wand for other dusting. I agree with you Nanamoms on the ceiling fan, why do the blades get so dusty? I try to dust my blades regularly but occasionally have to give them a good scrub to remove stubborn stuff.

BellaBoo 07-27-2012 07:26 AM

OH OH OH, I know a trick that keeps dust to a minimum from collecting on ceiling fans. It works!! Spray the blades top and bottom with cheap aerosol hair spray. Let dry. The dust just won't collect and pile up. Our house had lots of ceiling fans and I was constantly having to dust them. A chemist told me about the hairspray when I was complaining about dust in line at Hancock's one day. LOL. I've had them all removed from the house except on the porches. The porch fans are white and this keeps the dust and dirt down so I don't have to clean them much at all.

Tartan 07-27-2012 08:42 AM

I will definitely try that on my ceiling fans the next time I clean them. I have 3 ceiling fans and I am all for making housework jobs simpler! Thanks Bellaboo!

KarenR 07-27-2012 08:46 AM

hiarspray on ceiling fans - I'm off to go spray them.

Peckish 07-27-2012 08:47 AM

Lol the ceiling fan reminded me of a funny (well, sort of) story that happened to one of my closest friends. She was newly married and really wanted to impress the inlaws, so invited everyone over for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a huge shindig, she spent hours cooking up a feast. Laid out her best linens, china & silver, set all the food out very attractively. Everyone filed in and oohed and ahhed, then someone asked if the ceiling fan could be turned on, as it was very warm with all the cooking and warm bodies. So she turned on the fan (which had not been used in months) and watched with horror as little dust bunnies floated down and landed on all the food and everyone's plates.

Latrinka 07-27-2012 01:56 PM

Great ideas!