Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I want to help the tornado victims (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-want-help-tornado-victims-t265107.html)

grann of 6 05-12-2015 07:34 AM

I want to help the tornado victims

I haven't seen any requests posted, but would love to help out.

tessagin 05-12-2015 08:01 AM

DH and I took some canned goods and products from a friend of mine who loves to do extreme couponing to be trucked to the tornado victims in Van and Cisco, Tx. Lots of food and toiletries and first aid stuff and pain relief (Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.). We chose to help those closest to us. We asked around and called the first responders in the towns who also needed help.

Sdwill 05-12-2015 08:09 AM

First Baptist Church in Nashville, AR (415 N Main St, Nashville, AR 71852)
is organizing all the donations and distributing them. They are asking for everything, including diapers and wipes for babies.

Onebyone 05-12-2015 10:13 AM

I donated to the group that was making pre cooked meals for the victims. Most are trying to clean up and have no place or time to cook.

grann of 6 05-12-2015 11:04 AM

I think it is wonderful that all who can help chip in with whatever they can do. Living in PA makes it hard to get in there and do what really needs to be done, so if I can give out some comfort by giving a few quilts, I feel I have at least done some little thing. I grew up in Michigan and remember classmates who lost their homes and everything when an entire trailer park was destroyed. My mother donated food and my outgrown clothes. I will try to get a package out tomorrow.

Tink's Mom 05-12-2015 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sdwill (Post 7193369)
is organizing all the donations and distributing them. They are asking for everything, including diapers and wipes for babies.

Thanks for the info...now I won't have to search for where to send.
Yesterday, I drove out to the area where the Illinois tornadoes were last month to donate for a big pick up by the families this weekend.

grann of 6 05-12-2015 12:53 PM

Does the church have a time frame for donations? Do they have a deadline? I can send a couple boxes, but one may have to be sent next week? I already have one large box full.

Sdwill 05-12-2015 12:56 PM

The communities around here have made me proud during all of this. Nashville is just 20 minutes North of where I live. I actually go into Nashville a lot as we have family there and before my Mom passed away a few weeks ago I did all of her shopping there. We have some relatives that have some severe damage to their home, they are now staying at my Mom's house until they get repairs done. Just lucky we haven't had the estate sale yet. We told them if they needed anything that is left at the house they are welcome to it.

grann of 6 05-12-2015 01:21 PM

Sdwill, if there is anything I can do for your area, I would be glad to send you some stuff too. I am going to make more jelly roll 1600 quilts since they sew up quickly, and I can quilt them on my longarm. I have been ailing for about 8 months now, and am finally on the road to recovery, so I just feel like helping out those who need hugs. Can't give physical hugs, so fabric hugs will have to do.

joym 05-13-2015 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sdwill (Post 7193369)

Good to know....thanks for posting