Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I would be willing to - would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-would-willing-would-you-t261824.html)

bearisgray 02-26-2015 09:36 AM

I would be willing to - would you?

If I borrowed a book or tool from someone - I would be willing to leave some " collateral" with the person until I returned the item.

I have let people borrow things - and never seen them again. I think their memories might have been better if some of THEIR property was also involved.

I am also thinking having some sort of registry might be a good thing. For what I have of other people's things -with name , address, and contact number. And vice versa.

Tartan 02-26-2015 10:21 AM

Sounds reasonable to get something of equal value, like fabric. It also helps to put your address stickers on things before lending.

quiltstringz 02-26-2015 10:37 AM

sounds reasonable to me - I try to only loan to people I know will return and return it in good shape. I won't borrow something unless I am will to replace it if something happens while I have it!

Mariposa 02-26-2015 11:02 AM

I agree with quiltstringz~ :)

Jan in VA 02-26-2015 12:19 PM

Oh, the books I have 'lost'....... :(

quiltingcandy 02-26-2015 12:44 PM

Over the years of lending and never getting items back I have learned to ask for the item after a month or so. Usually I just say, I need it back to do something or someone else needs the item. (I usually blame it on my sister since she lives out of state, and I say I need to send it to her.) It wouldn't occur to me to ask for collateral - just say when you lend it you will need it back in a week or 2 because of whatever reason you want. Some people do forget, so it is not usually intentional just ask for the item back. If they say they already returned it ask them to be specific when it was, maybe you forgot they returned it.

M.Elizabeth 02-26-2015 01:02 PM

I required collateral when I taught middle school for kids who never had a pencil, etc. It worked with them. Their collateral was a piece of jewelry, their lunch card, etc. Seldom did anyone forget to return my "goods" at the end of class!
For quilters, the collateral might be of more value as a reminder, but it might work!

ManiacQuilter2 02-26-2015 01:35 PM

Some very good suggestion. If I loan something out, it is usually something NOT important to me so if I don't get it back, I won't be upset. I would NEVER loan out my bargello quilting books!

judy363905 02-26-2015 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7106636)
Oh, the books I have 'lost'....... :(

I feel your Pain. 😂

Judy in Phx, AZ

Anniedeb 02-26-2015 08:01 PM

I would be willing to do that!! I received a book from a very special friend...I had not read it yet, and "someone" asked if they could borrow it...I can not, for the life of me, remember who I lent it to! On the other hand, several years ago I lend an acquaintance some very specific music cd's...completely forgot about it. Last year he was at a get together I was at ...and brought me my cd's! Nice surprise!