Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ideas about giving grandkids money (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ideas-about-giving-grandkids-money-t112839.html)

Cottage Dee 04-02-2011 05:31 AM

We have 15 grandkids, and to buy them a gift is rather ominous....one that they would like. When I found gifts that we had given them in the back of a closet, we changed to giving them money, certainly easier on us grandparents! I have presented them with dollars suspended from the ribs of an umbrella (money for a rainy day); stuffed into socks and then each sock stuffed into a tube, each sock attached with gift ribbon; the boring gift of a check (didn't last long with that one); last year we got one-dollar bills and put a bank wrapper on it to signify how much was there. Now, I'm looking for ideas to present cash --- please??

rusty quilter 04-02-2011 05:35 AM

You can take a stack to Staples and have them put a gummy binding on it, (like a pad of paper) then they can "peal off" the bills like a sheet from a pad of paper.

wvdek 04-02-2011 05:44 AM

Invest instead for their future.

erstan947 04-02-2011 05:46 AM

I got a book on money folding. One year I folded the money like a fortune cookie and the paper insert I put a scripture verse. Then I made a paper box to put them in:)

mommamac 04-02-2011 05:49 AM

buy a box of chocolate
eat them yourself
put $$ in the sections where chocolates were.

fold $$ like flowers & make a bouquet

put $ in balloons for a balloon bouquet

put $$ in a baggie with water - freeze & they'll have fun chopping away to get their cold cash

hperttula123 04-02-2011 05:54 AM

you could make a money tree.

Dee G 04-02-2011 05:58 AM

12 grandchildren here - Bunch of balloons with $ inside some - others had blanks; Money trees; Personalized ornaments containing $ hidden on the Christmas tree. Next year I am thinking of a scavenger hunt. 1 who wanted nothing for her birthday got an empty box - the $ was taped to the inside lid of the box. Love your ideas especially "rainy day".

AlienQuilter 04-02-2011 06:00 AM

My inlaws solved this problem by giving each grandkid a U.S. Savings bond every year for their birthday and a big one for their graduation from High School. And stopped giving after they graduated.

We celebrate their birthdays, now that they are grown, by going to their favorite restaurant for lunch, then taking in a movie of their choice.

mtnative 04-02-2011 06:00 AM

I have gotten funny and odd things from the dollar store and put the money in those and wrapped them. At least it gaive them gifts to unwrap.

BarbaraTX 04-02-2011 06:05 AM

I've taped dollars end to end, rolled them up, then put them in a box with a slit. The recipient pulled them out of the slit.
Another time, I taped money to small gifts, bottle of lotion, inside a picture frame, etc.