Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ideas for a preteen for summer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ideas-preteen-summer-t263491.html)

tessagin 04-03-2015 08:12 AM

This is excellent idea. My aunt used to do this for the fun of it. If they went on a hike and wanted to be quiet, they signed. Ironically, after my cousin's little girl was 6 months old she contracted meningitis and it affected her ears. She became deaf in both ears. If they have to communicate across the room they finger sign the alphabet or are very discreet. who knew!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 7151970)
One time when we were on a rainy camping trip in a tent (5 kids) ...my Mom taught us how to "sign" the alphabet and then we played at trying to guess what each other was saying. Something like that might interest her if you learn it together from a library book.

Mariposa 04-03-2015 08:14 AM

Maybe teach her basic embroidery, like redwork-? Or make bookmarks, decorate a picture frame, or making camping foods.

Up North 04-03-2015 10:19 AM

I just came up with a cool idea if any others of you have children that like crafts! We are gonna make a bunch of these. I bought two wire baskets, a small solar light and some tissue paper. put a hole in the top and put the solar light on the inside. wired the two baskets together. Cut the tissue paper in squares and using a brush I brushed elmer's glue on part of the basket and started adding squares of tissue paper. Once it is completely covered I will add a layer of Modge Podge and viola a lantern to hang from the camper. cost to me $4.00 next couple will only cost 3$$.

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-03-2015 10:23 AM

I have just discovered coloring books for adults. No they are not x-rated! they have more complex designs than children's coloring books. I have seen them online at Amazon.com and seen them in Michael's stores and even Joanne's (which also had Zentangle books). Add a big box of crayons or colored pencils and off you go. When my niece was little we would color together, she took one page, I took the other. My niece is an adult now. Perhaps I need to get one of the coloring books and invite her over! You can also google adult coloring books and get lots of choices. I also think sewing hexagons into a Grandmother's Flower Garden would be fun as well. Have a happy time with her and give her lots of hugs!

lynnie 04-03-2015 10:33 AM

another great thing I used to do when i'd visit my grands was to listen to stories they tell. about time b4 tv and all day movies, and rumble seats and radio shows. she can take notes and she'll be glad she did.

Halo 04-03-2015 03:34 PM

Another fun one would be to cut empty t-paper rolls in 2 or 3 inch sections & spray or hand paint them in different colors. Gather pine cones ,moss neat bark pieces & such from the woods. Then glue them inside the colored t-paper rings & make ornaments out of them. You can put a little cotton in for snow. The possibilities are endless.

jaly3162 04-03-2015 05:19 PM

How old is she?

Debbie C 04-03-2015 07:39 PM

Yo-yo kit! You can do yo-yos anywhere easily!

Up North 04-04-2015 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaly3162 (Post 7152511)
How old is she?

She is 12 She made her first quilt with charm squares when she was 6 with a battery operated sewing machine at the campground.

AZ Jane 04-04-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7150813)
How about doing hexagons for a Grandmother Flower Garden. You can show her how to fussy cut the hexagons, tack the backs and put them together into the flower shapes. You can wait to connect it the flowers into a top later.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. You can pre-cut squares, just add 1.5" to the size of the hexies. 1" hexie would need a 2.5" square. 2" hexie would need a 3.5" square. Using hexies, you can stop at anytime. Make a mug rug or a full size quilt.