Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If you don't pet your fabric, how will it know you love it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-you-dont-pet-your-fabric-how-will-know-you-love-t229643.html)

annievee 09-07-2013 05:38 AM

I am a petter/toucher too==already passed this trait on to 18 month old GD--she loves her fabric scraps and will play with them for hours. I try to freshen her stash occasionally--ha !

dunster 09-07-2013 05:51 AM

I am shocked that this topic was moved from Main to GCC. How could this topic be considered non-quilting talk? Aren't the moderators quilters too? Don't they also pet their fabric and talk to it?

Neesie 09-07-2013 06:04 AM

I love they way you described your experience! :D

Yes, I pet and stroke the fabrics . . . and have been known to ask other customers, to do the same. "You've GOT to feel this fabric!" I walk to the check-out, stroking my newly acquired fabric, with a big smile on my face. Never thought how it might appear to others . . . until now. Oh, well! Other quilters understand! :p

mighty 09-07-2013 06:13 AM

I admit I am a fabric fondler.

Emma S 09-07-2013 06:20 AM

Yes guilty as charged. I try to keep it at a level where people don't start edging away from me but if their quilters they understand.

Dina 09-07-2013 07:37 AM

I am also surprised that this topic was moved, but at least it is easy to find... Of course I pet my fabric. How else would I know how it feels. :) Touching the fabric is the first thing I do when I see something I like.

Dina

maryb119 09-07-2013 08:06 AM

I am a fabric petter, too! I love the feel of fabric and I have to touch it. I have a hard time ordering fabric on line because I can only look at it and not touch it. Guilty as charged!

alikat110 09-07-2013 09:05 AM

I am an oooher and aaaher and petter. I frequently end up in conversations with other shoppers b/s I was talking to the fabric and they felt it was directed at them. But, I love this interaction as well.

alwayslearning 09-07-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 6279082)
I am a fabric petter, too! I love the feel of fabric and I have to touch it. I have a hard time ordering fabric on line because I can only look at it and not touch it. Guilty as charged!

Me, too! And I bet you anything there are a lot of fabric petters in clothing stores, but their experience is nowhere as deep. They pet the fabric, take the piece home, where it -- blah! They do not have the pleasure of using it to create something beautiful and utile for years of lasting pleasure.

crafty pat 09-07-2013 09:19 AM

I love to pet my fabric but I got into trouble for not following my own advice. This week I went on a fabric shopping spree and when I got home I started petting all my beautiful fabric before I washed It. I don't know which one got me but my palms turned red and started stinging so bad. After about a day and a half it started going away after all my hand washing and and itch cream. So from now on I wash before I pet.