Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If you have no plans for Valentine's Day......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-you-have-no-plans-valentines-day-t99276.html)

Fritzy 02-12-2011 10:04 PM

In case some of you are still trying to figure out what you would like to do on Valentine's Day have I got a deal for you!!! You can make a trip to Fargo, North Dakota & celebrate the day by starting to fill 3 million, yes, 3 million, sandbags for our upcoming flood! This will be the 3rd year in a row that we have had major flooding & they say that this year there's a 10% chance that it could be the highest crest ever. We had a very wet fall so the river was up before it started to freeze & now it seems like we get snow just about every day. They are planning on building the dikes to 44' in case it does hit the 42' which will all depend on the melting process & if we get any spring rains. We've been successful in the past two floods at keeping it at bay but there always is that chance that something might give & we could be in real big trouble. I live about 2 blocks (as the crow flies) from the river & our house just happens to be one of the lowest spots on the block. They are going to put a 44' dike on the golf course across the street so if that holds we should be okay. They've made a lot of improvements in many areas & have bought out quite a few houses but there is still a lot to be done & they are working on a diversion but that is still 8 to 12 years down the road. Everyone would just like to have a normal spring for once without having to worry about flooding but it seems like mother nature has other plans. I just thought that this might be an option for some of you who are undecided about your plans & they say they will make it as romantic as possible!!!! Hope to see you at "sandbag central"! LOL

mom-6 02-12-2011 10:10 PM

What a wonderful way to help your community! I do hope a great deal is accomplished. Will not be able to attend however, not only is the distance a bit too far, but Valentine's Day is DGS birthday, so will be otherwise occupied...sorry, he takes precedence!

trisha 02-12-2011 10:22 PM

Didn't they save the sandbags from last year? LOL

hperttula123 02-12-2011 10:25 PM

If I lived closer, I would help. I hope you get some volunteers. :)

Fritzy 02-12-2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by trisha
Didn't they save the sandbags from last year? LOL

Yes, they did save sandbags from last year but I guess not enough!
We could send some water your way then maybe we'd have enough. How much would you like????? LOL

Fritzy 02-12-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
What a wonderful way to help your community! I do hope a great deal is accomplished. Will not be able to attend however, not only is the distance a bit too far, but Valentine's Day is DGS birthday, so will be otherwise occupied...sorry, he takes precedence!

Now let's see....Sandbag? or DGS? Yup, I'd go with DGS too! Hope he has a great birthday!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-13-2011 05:31 AM

Is it OK if I send relatives in my place? My cousins live in Underwood, MN and their school generally lets students volunteer to come sandbag in Fargo every year. The kids always volunteer to get out of school.

Fritzy 02-13-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Is it OK if I send relatives in my place? My cousins live in Underwood, MN and their school generally lets students volunteer to come sandbag in Fargo every year. The kids always volunteer to get out of school.

I'm sure Fargo would greatly appreciate their help. I know they said they need 200 volunteers a shift to try & meet their goal. The high schools are sending some kids this week & they have also asked the businesses to send employees too if possible. The school would probably have to call the volunteer center if they decide to let the kids come & help. Everyone is hoping that they are wrong about this prediction but they want to be prepared just in case the worst case scenario happens. Thank you!