Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-you-t262946.html)

ljptexas 03-21-2015 03:05 PM

If you...

If you....
- were raised on hee haw,
- had a crush on any of the dukes,
- only watched cartoons on saturday morning,
- played in the dirt,
- got you butt whipped with a belt or had to pick out your own switch,
- had a rotary phone,
- had 5 tv channels,
- school started with the “pledge”,
- had a bedtime,
- rode in back of pickup trucks,
- recorded the top 40 from radio on cassette tapes,
- played in the creek,
- rode your bike all day without a helmet,
- and you still turned out ok...
- re-post this and remember the good times!!...

lynnie 03-21-2015 03:30 PM

the only thing I didn't do was to ride in a pickup. rode my bike all day, at least 5 miles or a more a day on Saturday, never had a helmet on either. we had no creek but we had sumps that were filled with water and tadpoles. that was always fun to hunt them down.

Anniedeb 03-21-2015 07:13 PM

They were the good old days! You said please and thank you, asked if you could be excused from the table, and cleared your dishes without being told. You addressed adults as ma'am, or sir, and "minded" what any neighborhood parent told you to do! We could not change the TV channel, or answer the phone without permission...boy I miss thse days!!

nanacc 03-21-2015 07:45 PM

You are definitely younger than Hubby and I!
...Did not have 5 channels(Daddy got one of the first tv's in our town)
...Did not have cassettes...got my first transister radio in grade school
...Did not have Hee-Haw or the dukes
Lived in a small town so walked most places(and felt safe doing it)

quiltin-nannie 03-22-2015 05:12 AM

I remember going "downtown" (city of over 100,000) on the bus by myself when I was about 10. And standing outside my friends house "calling" her. You never went and knocked on the door or rang the bell! We were so excited when we got a private phone line, and a cord that was 25 feet long! We could actually go to another room and talk on the phone. I remember getting our first TV, and when dad worked overtime, mom would put throw rugs down in front of it and let us eat supper watching TV. Don't remember what we watched, but probably Howdy Doody. I remember mom ironing sheets on a "mantle" The thing was huge and took up the back wall of our kitchen. Sure would like to have that now to iron fabric!

Bobbielinks 03-22-2015 06:39 AM

Yep, agree and/or did all of them. And turned out to be a respectable, happy person.

tessagin 03-22-2015 06:42 AM

Same here!!!

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks (Post 7136540)
Yep, agree and/or did all of them. And turned out to be a respectable, happy person.

ManiacQuilter2 03-22-2015 06:57 AM

I don't remember most of these things because I didn't do them. I did have a rotary phone and as a child I did have a bedtime. That is about all I have in common with this list. Maybe it is because I grew up in the city of LA.

jbj137 03-22-2015 07:23 AM

*** YES, on all.

Wonnie 03-22-2015 07:55 AM

Yes, I remember a lot of the things on your list. But mostly I remember the sounds, the lovely soft sounds.....cothes flapping in the breeze on the clothesline, someone mowing their lawn with a rotary mower, crickets chirping, birds splashing in the bird bath, someone clipping hedges with old fashioned hedge clippers, bees buzzing in the flower beds, locust buzzing in the trees, someone's little rotary fan humming, a trolley bus stopping at the corner, children laughing. You could lie on your back in the grass and see what objects you could find in the clouds. Now I'm inundated with noise....air conditioners, clothes dryers, loud music and rap blaring from open car windows, super powerful and loud mowers deemed necessary to mow a postage size yard, cars with loud mufflers, electric hedge trimmers, etc.