Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   If your laptop screen suddenly goes black. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/if-your-laptop-screen-suddenly-goes-black-t222243.html)

BellaBoo 05-25-2013 06:49 PM

If your laptop screen suddenly goes black.

Instantly going to a black screen with no warning at all and the power button shows the computer is on. If the battery is dead, plug up power cord to charge battery then:

Here is how I fixed mine:

1. Take out battery
2 Unplug power cord
3. Hold down power button for 30 seconds
4 Turn on computer
5. Plug up power cord
6. replace battery.
It has something to do with discharging static electricity, the fix worked perfectly for me on my laptop today.
You just saved over $100 or more in a repair.

Go buy fabric. :)

nativetexan 05-25-2013 06:51 PM

ha, ha. like they used to tell me to De-gouse my television. glad it worked!!!

cathyvv 05-25-2013 07:08 PM

Bella, I have done similar for other problems that pop up unexpectedly, but never for screen going black.

In fact, my DH is nursing a 5 year old laptop - my former laptop - that overheats and dies without notice. If he waits long enough, it will allow him to turn it back on. "Long enough" varies from 1/2 hour to a full day, but he refuses to get a new laptop! We can afford it, but he just won't do it. Of course, he's like that about appliances and cars as well...

I am curious where you found this suggestion for making your screen come back to life?

BellaBoo 05-25-2013 07:23 PM

I called my local internet provider tech support. The guy Googled how to fix it and told me over the phone what to do.

MaryMo 05-25-2013 07:30 PM

good to know .... I want to keep this old laptop going as long as possible even though I could buy a replacement at a reasonable cost. But then what do I do with this one? When it costs up to $50 to recycle laptops and monitors and they shouldn't be placed in landfills, I'd rather keep this going as long as possible.

yngldy 05-25-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 6085378)
good to know .... I want to keep this old laptop going as long as possible even though I could buy a replacement at a reasonable cost. But then what do I do with this one? When it costs up to $50 to recycle laptops and monitors and they shouldn't be placed in landfills, I'd rather keep this going as long as possible.

Is that what they charge you to get rid of them? Is it just for your state? I just donated a bunch of computers/monitors to Goodwill. They dispose of them. I was told there was gold in the connections and they salvage it somehow.

glorcour 05-26-2013 03:55 AM

Our old laptop used to shut down for no apparent reason and then would start up later. The problem was that it overheated. A cooling pad (about $10.) solved the problem.

Tartan 05-26-2013 06:23 AM

​Good to know.

Stitchit123 05-26-2013 06:31 AM

Wish this worked on my TV -

BellaBoo 05-26-2013 08:28 AM

I give old computers and other electronic items to Salvation Army. They are used for parts and in their work training program to learn repair.