Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm in Heaven! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-heaven-t247127.html)

quiltstringz 05-21-2014 10:15 AM

Well I hate to disillusion everyone, while working in a Quilt Shop (at least most of them) is fun and you will learn a lot, it is usually a lot of hard work. Most shops move their fabric around and let me tell you that is Work! I hope you do get to take some of your earnings home, when I worked in a shop I never did but then I never worked 40 hrs a week either usually just weekends. My hubby told me one time that I had learned so much there I should be paying them - I told him I DO.

Seriously - congrats on your new job. I am sure you will love it. You love fabric and am pretty sure you love people (most of them anyways) so what could be better.

caspharm 05-21-2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6724865)
​Congratulations! Maybe they will even pay you to do store samples?

I agree. I worked at a couple of quilt shops at different times and I did do the store sample for a BOM. It was fun - I was allowed to make a free block for myself while making the sample block. I also did a setting design for it.

Onetomatoplant 05-21-2014 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 6725643)
Well I hate to disillusion everyone, while working in a Quilt Shop (at least most of them) is fun and you will learn a lot, it is usually a lot of hard work. Most shops move their fabric around and let me tell you that is Work! I hope you do get to take some of your earnings home, when I worked in a shop I never did but then I never worked 40 hrs a week either usually just weekends. My hubby told me one time that I had learned so much there I should be paying them - I told him I DO.

Seriously - congrats on your new job. I am sure you will love it. You love fabric and am pretty sure you love people (most of them anyways) so what could be better.

I do work my tail off, but that's part of my plan. I'm thinking this job will keep me so active, I'll maybe lose a few pounds. That, and we've been so busy I've sometimes forgotten to eat!

Seaside gal 05-21-2014 08:53 PM

Enjoy your new job. It sounds like you are having a good time at it. Congratulations.

debbiemarie 05-21-2014 10:05 PM

I did the very same thing, except I got a job at a high end jewelry store, I was in hog heaven playing with the jewelry all day long.

Katie 05-22-2014 02:58 AM

I worked at a fabric store for years as a second job. My first job paid the bills my second job paid for my hobby(quilting and sewing). I worked so much that I did not have alot of time for the hobby but that didn't keep me from buying. I loved to talk to shoppers about what they were working on and always seemed to come away with ideas of things I wanted to make

citruscountyquilter 05-22-2014 03:28 AM

I have a friend that owned a quilt shop and she always hired quilters for her staff. That solved two problems. One she knew she was getting a person who knew how to answer questions customers had and secondly she made back what she was paying them in wages with the money they spent in the shop. If I worked in a quilt shop it would be like an alcoholic working in a brewery.

nygal 05-22-2014 03:36 AM

What fun you will have! I wouldn't bring home a penny of pay I'd end up spending it all there. lol

vburr 05-22-2014 04:05 AM

Hi! I live in central PA. I am always looking for retreats, new fabric shops to explore, etc. what is the name and location of the quilt shop you are working in. Congrats on getting a job with something that you love! I am afraid I would be spending all my paychecks at work!

ljptexas 05-22-2014 05:34 AM

Congrats!!!!! Now, don't go spending all your paycheck!!!!