Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm still in shock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-still-shock-t222658.html)

Misty's Mom 05-31-2013 06:36 AM

I'm still in shock

My DH has announced that for our 20th anniversary, we are going to Hawaii. What's special is that I've never flown on a commercial airline, been to the ocean, walked on a real beach or ridden in a helicopter. He's going to take care of all that in July :). We will be staying on Oahu, so does anyone know of any quilt shops there? Also, any out of the way sites to see? We're definitely going to see Pearl Harbor. He was stationed over there for 3 years, but that was 35 years ago and before my time:). It was in a different life for him:)

BellaBoo 05-31-2013 06:52 AM

Girl you need to get out more! LOL. You will love every minute of your trip. Enjoy! I travel alone when DH doesn't want to go so you don't have to wait if the travel bug bites, you'll be a pro after the first plane ride.

tessagin 05-31-2013 07:00 AM

Just a word of advice. Unless you chew gum and don't have problems with your ears, you may want to take a decongestant about 10-15 minutes before boarding. It keeps the ear canals open so you don't get an earache. I have a horrible time flying. You may want to check with your physician if you're just getting rid of a cold and have your ears checked. Believe me it helps. You'll want to ask them, maybe for a prescription depending on your general health. it's usually worse for me when ascending and descending because of the change in cabin pressure. A friend of mine was getting ready to fly with their 7 month old who was a little sniffly. She took him to the pediatrician. He had a cold and the onset of an ear infection. This was 4 days before they were to fly. The pediatrician said the child would've been in so much pain. With the medication for the cold (he got over) she gave him the meds for the congestion before the flight and he was the best passenger on the flight. The pediatrician informed her that anyone who gets ready to fly and has ear problems should visit their physician first and get flight OK'd and take a decongestant before they fly.

charity-crafter 05-31-2013 07:05 AM

Are you staying on the beach or close to it? We went a few years ago for our wedding anniversary. We did the 7 day cruise around the islands and flew in a couple days early just to get over the jet lag and do touristy stuff in the area.
We stayed at a hotel a few blocks away from the beach. We both are big walkers so we walked everywhere. Our trip was in December so it was a great break from the cold at home. I'm not sure what the weather is like in July.

thimblebug6000 05-31-2013 07:07 AM

Well you will have a wonderful time! Haven't been back for awhile, but I always loved snorkeling at Hanama Bay (sp?) and visiting the Pali lookout and the Polynesian Culture center, and the beaches on the north side with their huge waves. You used to be able to board a city bus right downtown Honolulu & ride around the complete Island for a very reasonable price. You might enjoy doing that at the beginning to just see a little of what's available. And of course hike up into Diamond Head, and go to a special Hawaiian evening with the pork etc. can't remember how to spell it (luah?) I know alot of these things are touristy.... but they're fun to do at least once.

Bneighbor 05-31-2013 07:10 AM

What fun! Sound like you got a Hubby who thought this all out, what a keeper!
We are planning on a trip next May. Hope you have a great and memorable time.

Misty's Mom 05-31-2013 07:25 AM

Yes, we will be staying on the beach :). Can't go snorkeling, he's a transplant patient, so can't get in the water or stay in the sun much. But, I'm sure we'll still find plenty to do. Can't wait. BTW, Bellaboo, I've always thought I lived under a rock, DH just moved it out of the way:)

crafty pat 05-31-2013 07:34 AM

Great guy you have there. There is so much to see and all so beautiful. Have a great time. Use plenty sunscreen.

Jingle 05-31-2013 08:19 AM

Good for you. I use to want to go, but not so much anymore. I have become a stay at home person. Traveled alot when the kids were still home. Got it out of my system.

MadQuilter 05-31-2013 09:46 AM

My GF is heading for Oahu on Sunday and she talked about driving to Turtle Bay and seeing a waterfall on the way there.

I'd check the google listings and verify that the store is still there when you get to the island. Have a wonderful time!!!!!