Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Inexpensive Shopping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/inexpensive-shopping-t45835.html)

Alu_Rathbone 05-14-2010 06:07 AM

So, I know many of you have sent your kids off to college or are about too... what I'd like to know is where to get the bargains, with out it being used... I'm already doing the used text book thing, only cause I can get some notes in them, possibly...

I'm refering to Sheets, storage, little things like that... This is the start of my back to school shopping this month on forward.

Thanks!

OH! I live in the Chicago land area if that helps... 60707

oldswimmer 05-14-2010 06:14 AM

I love shopping for bargains at TJ Max. They have great linens and storage. And some on the board have spoken highly of Tuesday Morning, although I have never shopped there.

Grama Lehr 05-14-2010 06:17 AM

Try J.C.Penney outlet store, BIG LOTS, Tuesday Morning, Ross, or go to the clearance section of the store. You never know what you will find there!
Best of Wishes on your education!! :thumbup:

Rebecca VLQ 05-14-2010 06:23 AM

I would say write down a list of what you REALLY need. Sheets...you will have a twin at college, so do you have a twin at home? Ask if you can take a set of sheets with you. You could get by with one set. Two would be better, so you can just whip off the dirty, put fresh on, and when the dirty come out of the wash just fold and put away for next week.

Same with towels...if you can bring two from home with washcloths, etc...you will be good. Check the clearance section and embrace the fact that even though you may like sky-blue towels you could end up with some rockin' fluffy orange towels for less.

Dorm rooms have dressers, so your clothes have a home.
Some have closets as well, so bring a few hangers from home.

I'd get a caddy for your bathroom stuff, like...you may find it in the cleaning/tupperware aisle at Walmart or Big lots. With a handle, able to hold shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap dish, razor, etc...because you probably will have to shower down the hall.

pocoellie 05-14-2010 06:30 AM

Thrift stores, auctions, yard sales

wvdek 05-14-2010 06:43 AM

The less you can take to the dorm, the better. Only the essentials and a few things to make it cozy.
It never ceases to amaze me what slobs my DD's roomates were. Good thing she had so little with her or it would have gotten lost in the shuffle.
Don't buy things just 'cuz your BFF has it or it is the newest thing or color. Really think about how you will use it, how long will it last, is it worth the price, will you be able to re-sell after school or will you take it to your first apt., things like that.
We bought DD a dorm fridge on clearance at Lowe's because it had a scratch on it, a small microwave, sturdy hangers, two nice warm blankets (you don't want to take your quilts there do you?), a trash can, a locking file cabinet, some plastic storage bins; a couple of cheap plates, bowls, cups, & cuttlery, so she could eat her Ramen noodles and whatever else kids eat in the dorm. She had the plastic shoe boxes to store the snacks and food in so bugs couldn't get in. If she had it to do over, she would have purchased a rolling back-pack. Makes it mush easier to take to classes and easier on your back and shoulders. She took just enough stuff we were able to make it in one trip at the end of the year to haul back home.

CarrieAnne 05-14-2010 06:43 AM

I like Big Lots alot, but probaly the cheapest would be Walmart?

Woodster 05-14-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
So, I know many of you have sent your kids off to college or are about too... what I'd like to know is where to get the bargains, with out it being used... I'm already doing the used text book thing, only cause I can get some notes in them, possibly...

I'm refering to Sheets, storage, little things like that... This is the start of my back to school shopping this month on forward.

Thanks!

OH! I live in the Chicago land area if that helps... 60707

I found sheets for my girls at Target - they needed the XLong Twins for the dorm beds and they had plenty to choose from. (although this was 7 and 5 years ago). Depending on how your dorm is set up, a plastic tote for showering needs comes in handy. Ross is good - also check out Craig's list (be careful, though) and check out garage sales - you can find some good stuff there (also a bunch of junk!). Bed Bath Beyond has lots of college stuff - get some coupons - they never expire and you can get 20% off and use more than one per visit.

hazeljane 05-14-2010 06:50 AM

Also, if you are in Chicagoland, IKEA. They have great prices on lots of stuff, and the design is fabulous. I know there is one outside of Chicago, but I don't remember exactly where. It's worth the trip just to see the designs, I think, and get ideas about living neatly in small spaces. i can't think of a better place to get organizational tools of all kinds.

Alu_Rathbone 05-14-2010 07:47 AM

I am definately going to Ikea! I told my mom that we should go there just to look at what they have in person, since I get the catalog. I'm getting the macreme bowls and plates from Taget.

here is a list of what the school says to bring, and what not to bring...

What should I bring to school with me?

* Computer (modem or network access)
* Radio, stereo, television set (cable ready), VCR/DVD (provided these items do not use an outside antenna)
* Iron
* Hair dryer
* Electric fan
* Razor
* Trash can (not provided in rooms)
* Refrigerator (if it does NOT exceed 3.0 cubic feet or draw more than 300 watts or 1.5 amps)
* Outlet strip (we encourage you to have a UL-approved outlet strip with a surge suppresser)
* 4-cup coffee maker, hot pot, popcorn popper (provided they have no exposed heating coils)
* Carpeting
* Additional room lamps (not Halogen)
* Umbrella, rain/snow shoes, etc.
* Bedding for an extra-long twin bed
* Items from home to add a personal touch to your room

What should I leave at home?

* Microwaves
* Air conditioners
* Amplified instruments and drums
* Waterbeds
* Ceiling fans
* Hot plates
* Toaster ovens
* Any item with an exposed heating coil
* Halogen lamps
* Pets, except for fish
* Candles and incense
_________

I have most of these things. Some of these things are being purchased due to the fact that we need an extra, like a fan, which I'll be able to take with me. Especially if the room is as quiet as the ones on the Monmouth University campus (for that camp I do in the summer) after the air shuts off. I drained my ipod of battery power since it was WAY to quiet.

I'm thinking of having my computer equipped to have a tv tuner to save space. I don't iron unless I absolutely have to... I don't blow dry my hair often... Small trach cans are inexpensive, I think I bought one from wal-mart last year when I went to ITI for like $2. It was small, I'll do it again this year, but I'll bring it home with me this time. I will definately need sheets, I sleep on the couch at the moment, and we have a queen and a full size bed, so no twin sheets... I'll be getting a coffee maker since I drink coffee AND tea, and I'll get a small hot pot/crock pot what ever its called...

I don't have much I have to to get... maybe some clothes too, but thats due to the lack of a lot of clothes lol... I have clothes but not much... maybe two pairs of jeans and some tops would be good.

I jsut hope that I'll have room for that Sewing machine ;)