Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   iOS update 9.1 update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ios-update-9-1-update-t272384.html)

Skhf 11-18-2015 05:10 AM

iOS update 9.1 update

If you decide to update iPad or iPhone to 9.1 be sure you backup first. I lost all my notes and iBooks where I saved my patterns. I only updated because the message kept popping up. My advice is simply to ignore it. Updates are trivial at best and not worth it at all. I hate apple!

ManiacQuilter2 11-18-2015 05:19 AM

What a bummer. I would have thought Apple would be better organized. So sorry for all your files that are lost.

Cactus Stitchin 11-18-2015 05:37 AM

Sorry to hear you had a problem with the update. I loaded it awhile back and had no problems; in fact we updated a total of 5 devices and had no problem with any of them.

SewExtremeSeams 11-18-2015 07:05 AM

I put off uploading the update for quite a while but then finally did. I like the additions. Sorry, I can't agree with you. I love Apple. In fact, in December I will be upgrading to an iPhone 6S Plus and I can't wait. Several of my good friends have them so they can help me if I get stuck.

Misty's Mom 11-18-2015 07:19 AM

We've never had a problem with Apple. We have 2 iPhones , 2 iPads and 2 laptops. We're very happy with Apple.

Sewnoma 11-18-2015 07:24 AM

I'm not an Apple fan either, but I caution against ignoring updates. You never know what all is in there, and some of it could be security updates. I know Apple products tend to get hit with viruses less than Microsoft, but that's slowly shifting and you never know what sneaky people are going to do next. If you use email, load your credit card data onto any app for purchases, or use any sort of banking app on your device, I strongly recommend keeping it up to date, regardless of manufacturer or operating system.

Of course, as I say this, I know my iPad is not updated either - but I also know I do nothing at all critical on that device, it's just used to play a couple silly games. (I only have it because I won it at work; I much prefer Android devices!)

NJ Quilter 11-19-2015 04:21 AM

I'm an Android user and very much regret the last update I did. Now my calendars no longer synch. There may be other things going on as well of which I'm unaware but the calendar is one of the most critical apps to me on my phone. Now I have to remember if I've added anything when looking at specific dates. Highly annoying.

CanoePam 11-20-2015 01:42 PM

The iOS 9.1 update was wonderful for me! It fixed persistent Safari errors I had been having that almost made surfing the net impossible.

Pam

quiltingcandy 11-20-2015 01:49 PM

You should have contacted Apple if you lost all your things. Of course they tell you before you do anything to make sure you back up first, but my daughter thought she lost everything and it turned out she did not. Can't remember where it was hiding but she was able to get everything back. My daughters and I are big Apple fans, my husband it not. I do have an HP laptop for my embroidery program since the Apple version was going to be $2800.00 - umm no, cheaper to buy the HP, a lot cheaper.

I am just bummed because my little I-phone won't up date anymore. It is too old. Oh well. I want the I-pad Mini instead of a new phone for now.

rjwilder 11-22-2015 08:06 AM

Contact Apple, the stuff is probably in the iCloud, I did the upgrade and thought I lost my notes and calendar. Apple told me that when an update is done it resets the phone/iPad/Mac to the factory default settings. In my case it set them back to a date where it only saves stuff for a few months. The update also turns everything on that I had turned off like WiFi assist, locator, seems like it turned on everything that eats up data if you don't have WiFi turned on. So go and check all your settings and set them for what works for you.