Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   iPad help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ipad-help-t276948.html)

Geri B 03-21-2016 01:50 PM

iPad help!

I don't know who else to ask..THIS IS SO CONFUSING......I needed to update my kindle this morning as per an email I received.....I ended up chatting via iPad to someone at,amazon because I knew not what I was doing...thankfully she walked me thru that update...then I asked if my iPad kindleneeded the same update....said yes...but first I had to update the iPad.....so I tried that...omg...I think I did that ...I now have a totally different screen on iPad and have to put a passcode in(sigh)... I can live with that, but now this dumb screen can only be read vertically and I really prefer horizontal......can anyone here give me the magic path on how to do that......the Apple Store is about 40 miles away and one needs an appt! - can you believe! Then I will have to go the update for the kindle......how did life get so electronically confusing.......

Stitchnripper 03-21-2016 02:09 PM

Well that sounds annoying!! If you have the service contract on your iPad or it is less than 1 year old you should be able to call 1-800-MY-APPLE and get free help. Sometimes I find googling a problem with the iPad will bring up apple support communities and sometimes I can solve a problem. I hope someone posts some help for you!!

Tartan 03-21-2016 02:28 PM

Go into settings and see if there is a little green check mark on Lock Rotation, I think.

nativetexan 03-21-2016 02:40 PM

ha, ha. i hope you got it fixed. my cell phone shows a calendar and for some reason it was for February. finally got changed back to March. No idea how I did it but at least it's right again. Now i'm trying to update my Kindle. must charge it first. tried update before but it didn't do right. One more chance and I give up!!

Maggiemay 03-21-2016 03:27 PM

I have been able to bypass the passcode function on my iPad when I do updates. There is a passcode function in settings where you should be able to turn it off. The lock/unlock function is in settings under "General ".

Gregory 03-21-2016 03:29 PM

Sounds like the lock screen is on. The easiest way to get this off is put your finger near the bottom and swipe up. It might take a couple tries but a screen should come up and there will be a picture with a lock and a circle around it. Tap that to turn it off.

You can can also do it in settings somewhere plus turn off the password option if you like.

Post again if if you have troubles and I will check back to see if you need more help. Good luck! :)

DOTTYMO 03-21-2016 11:36 PM

I live in KINGSLEY uk , my phone gives me weather forecast for Kingsley Australia. Great on days we have rain.
I had the message about updating kindle started process and got a message not needed, no idea why.

lovelyl 03-22-2016 04:43 AM

My iPad has a small round button that locks and unlocks the screen rotation. It is located just to the right of the volume switch. Try switching that button to get back your screen rotation. Good luck.

notmorecraft 03-22-2016 06:43 AM

The kindle update is for older kindles pre 2012. If you have a newer one it doesn't need the update.

matraina 03-22-2016 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7500850)
Go into settings and see if there is a little green check mark on Lock Rotation, I think.

This is correct.