Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   iron injury~it was a HOT one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/iron-injury%7E-hot-one-t130804.html)

madamekelly 06-16-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
I did this at work with an iron, I wasn't sewing, but ironing wood. Seems funny, but you can spray water on little dents and iron them right out. So, I was ironing a door and dropped the iron right on my arm....I was thinking it was going to hurt so bad. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt at all, but is all blistered up. I hope it heals up quickly.

Wrap that blister loosely in gause and keep it unbroken as long as possible. The longer the blister stays on, the less chance of infection. I learned this when my DD ran into a heat stove years ago. The fluid in the blister is plasma, and that is what makes it heal. I hope this is helpful.

Janice Thompson 06-16-2011 04:49 PM

Believe it or not but flour will take the burn out and not leave a blister. Imerge the burn in flour for a few minutes until the burn leaves. I got this from an e-mail. A military man was burned in Vietnam and the cook threw flour on him. He escaped without any blisters. I tried this (I picked up a hot pan w/o thinking) and used the flour method. I had a canister of flour on the cupboard ledge and imersed my hands,, No blisters

overdew 06-16-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
I hope you reported it, just incase it becomes infected or worse so your medical bills will be covered. Ice water and ice I have found is the best thing to help it! One time making Thanksgiving dinner, I removed a pot from the oven, it was 400 degrees, went about setting the table, grabbed the handle of that pot about a few seconds later and dropped it to the floor. I soaked my hand in ice cold water overnight, it did not blister, I did lose a bit of skin but that was it. I was thank ful! Here is to a speedy recovery!

I hope you see a dr. for that bad a burn. Did not see pic, but blisters mean a bad burn and possibility of infection. Blesssings on you.

Quilter7x 06-16-2011 06:39 PM

She must have taken the picture down. It's possible she did that because of it being a worker's compensation claim. I hope it's better today though, because it sure looked like a bad burn to me.

Grandma Mary 06-16-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
It should hurt and it probably will soon! If a bad burn doesn't hurt, that usually isn't a good thing. It means it has burned through all layers and deadened the nerves. Hope it heals up well for you.

That isn't good. :( It really doesn't hurt at all. It did for a couple minutes after it happened and then it stopped. And it happened so quick, guess that iron was REALLY hot.

I agree. If you can, have a doctor check it out. It could get infected, and with your nerves destroyed you might not know it. Take care of yourself, and good luck!

missbelle 06-17-2011 04:20 AM

I had not heard of flour for burns but bet it is good also.
But, there is an ointment called FOILE comes in a
bright yellow tube - wonderful, put it on as soon as the burn is done and you get great results. If your drug store does not carrry it, can order. I live in a small town with only one pharmacy, I believe they call them that now days, but a great one. This drug store carries a lot of the older stuff that was used in past years. Some of the older items they have to order but it is in the next day. SOME OF THE OLDER DAYS WERE GREAT. Hope your burn is almost well.
missbelle

heberstitcher 06-17-2011 05:47 AM

OMG!! That sounds extremely painful. Hope you heal soon.

craftybear 06-17-2011 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how is your burn today, I remember seeing the photo of it the other day, take care

GrannieAnnie 06-17-2011 08:45 PM

I did this at work with an iron, I wasn't sewing, but ironing wood. Seems funny, but you can spray water on little dents and iron them right out. So, I was ironing a door and dropped the iron right on my arm....I was thinking it was going to hurt so bad. Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt at all, but is all blistered up. I hope it heals up quickly.

If you're using an iron regularily at work, buy a jar of yellow mustard and keep it in the break room fridge. Slather a bunch of cold mustard on your next burn---------it pulls the heat out and prevents blistering. HONESTLY!