Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   It's funny when peeps know you quilt....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/its-funny-when-peeps-know-you-quilt-t267757.html)

gigi712 07-19-2015 08:46 AM

It's funny when peeps know you quilt.......

they think you can do anything with fabric. I don't make clothing, I quilt, big difference. I was persuaded to cut out 60 10" circles out of white fabric for vacation bible school. I was considering using the June Tailor or Stripology ruler to cut out 10" squares and using a template cutting off the corners. Will this work? Any other ideas, o wise ones?

ClairVoyantQuilter 07-19-2015 08:56 AM

Certainly it would work . . .or you could fold fabric into fourths, tie string to a needle, or ther end to a pencil and draw a quarter circle, cut that and you'd have your circles. I think the string would need to be 5" but my husband does my math ��

Birdscraps 07-19-2015 09:02 AM

I think your idea sounds brilliant!
I know what you mean about people not understanding what you do. An acquaintance asked me about 3 months ago if I would "help" her with a blanket she wanted to make for her son using photos and putting them on the blanket. i said i had never done anything like that but could probably help her figure it out. Next thing I know it's last week and she shows up on my door with one of those huge fuzzy blankets from Target, a USB drive with photos and says "his birthday is Sunday, can you have this done by then?" and leaves. I am terrible at saying no, so with my daughter's help we managed to get it done Friday night. When she picked it up she said, "Oh I told all my friends what you were doing and now they want you to do one for them so how much would you charge?" I finally found my voice and said "HELL NO"! :p
Hopefully you can get this done quickly and get back to what you really love - QUILTING!

quiltingcandy 07-19-2015 09:10 AM

Most dinner plates are 10 inches aren't they? Maybe you could recruit another person or 2 to help. It would go much faster with help.

AZ Jane 07-20-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7261598)
Most dinner plates are 10 inches aren't they? Maybe you could recruit another person or 2 to help. It would go much faster with help.

Might be worth the trouble to go fins a 10" plate!!

DOTTYMO 07-20-2015 07:25 AM

Are you going to use scissors or a rotary cutter once marked? One method may be easier than the other. Good luck.

aeble 07-20-2015 09:24 AM

I would fold the fabric so I'm cutting 4 at a time and use a rotary cutter around a 10" dinner plate.

quiltsRfun 07-20-2015 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7261598)

You might be able to use your rotary cutter around the edge of the dinner plate. Give it a careful try.

tessagin 07-20-2015 10:05 AM

It's as simple as ClaireVoyantQuilter stated. You can also invest in a compass. I have a couple of them for this very purpose of making circles and fans. They're in the school section. Tying a string on a tack will also work. Measure from the tack to the string measuring 5" out tied to a pencil will work. Use the tack to secure the center point. I really prefer the compass. Comes in really handy. no looking around for certain size saucers or lids or pots and pans. It's right with my quilting templates.

Sandygirl 07-20-2015 05:27 PM

I love my TrueCut Circle cutter. It is $39.95. Quick, accurate. I use it a lot.
sandy