Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   It's true scraps multiply in the bin! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/its-true-scraps-multiply-bin-t276423.html)

quiltingcandy 03-05-2016 04:48 PM

It's true scraps multiply in the bin!

Last year I started making FSL cute little Easter Egg holders and shamrocks for my daughter's 5th grade class. I was going thru the ultra water soluble stabilizer like crazy but my friend convinced me to save all the extra pieces. There was a "tip" on one of the websites saying you could patch them together. So this year I was getting ready to make them for this class and ordered more stabilizer and got out my box of scraps. Started sticking the pieces together and sewing the little items. After making 30 cup holders and 30 shamrocks I swear I still had the same amount if not more stabilizer and didn't even open the one I ordered. How does that happen?

I have had that happen when trying to use fabric scraps too. I will only buy fabric for the back of a quilt and still swear there is more fabric to store that when i started.

Someone here wrote that they multiply in the dark. And I do believe that it is true.

Sandra in Minnesota 03-05-2016 05:05 PM

Yup, they DO multiply!

zennia 03-06-2016 02:40 AM

Making my first truly scrap I just discovered this about scraps. The more I use the more I have. I don't think I will ever get to the bottom of the container.

sandy l 03-06-2016 04:40 AM

Oh, it doesn't even have to be dark for them to multiply. Just put them in the closet, a drawer, a box, anything enclosed and before you know it, they've doubled.:)

tapper 03-06-2016 07:35 AM

Yeah...so true!! A few years ago, my scraps were getting out of hand and I decided to put an ad online at the local buy/sell place to advertise a big box of FREE scraps. I posted that I would leave the ad up for 1 week and anyone that wanted them could e-mail me. After the week was up, I put all the names in a bag and had a drawing. It was fun. I had a LOT of names.

jbj137 03-06-2016 09:05 AM

*** As Erma Bombeck use to say in her column.
*** Put 2 wire clothes hangers in an empty closet
*** go back the next day and they fall all over your head.
*** They multiply like rabbits.
*** So it goes with scraps.

quiltingcandy 03-06-2016 10:50 AM

My sister belongs to a guild that makes a lot of donation quilts for all ages, and one lady does mostly scrap quilts. My sister was saying she would love to try one, so I sent her what I thought were all my scraps - 14 lbs of scraps in January. A week ago I was rearranging some bins in my closet and found a bunch more!!! This is incredible. Since I joined the QB 5 years ago, I have sent people here scraps, for one lady it was 3 large boxes, and then recently my sister. That does not include fabric that I bought and decided I wouldn't ever use that was given away. Maybe we have entered the Twilight Zone - but the fun one. :D

mrs. fitz 03-06-2016 02:27 PM

It's not just scraps. Recently I wanted to make a wall hanging from the selvages remaining from my first selvage project. I had a box packed pretty solid. Used A LOT of them in "hanging #2". When finished I couldn't close up the box with the ones that were left over. There was a song in the musical "The King And I" called "It's A Puzzlement".....................

ManiacQuilter2 03-06-2016 02:28 PM

I think scraps are like bunnies! :)

Jingle 03-07-2016 07:56 AM

I know they do.
I have made lots and lots of scrappy quilts. I spent all day Sunday cutting scraps into squares and still have lots more to cut. In the mean time I have hundreds of large yardage fabrics to use up. I need to give the squares to my Daughter and let her deal with them.