Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   James Patterson Books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/james-patterson-books-t56206.html)

NCquilter 07-25-2010 11:56 AM

I normally read Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, but I've read through most of them in the library and am ready to move on.

I've heard that James Patterson is similar to King and Koontz, but I do not know where to begin. Does he have series or are his books just pretty random without sequels/etc?

Let me know what some of his good books are or if you have other suggestions of different authors. Thanks!

I go To The Sea To Breathe 07-25-2010 12:41 PM

The first I read of his was "along came a spider", I was home alone that night, and had to quit reading it. "Step on a Crack", Jack and Jill, Just look in the front of his book and it will give them in order, I also like Johanathan Kellerman, Robin Cook, Mary Higgins Clark. I like the lawyer mysteries, and medical mysteries.....Mary H Clark has all of her books with song tittles. Three little Girls in Blue, I'll be seeing you, she has a lot of books. If I think of more I will let you know...Enjoy

crawford1219 07-25-2010 12:49 PM

I love his books-he is my favorite author! I've read all of his books he has put out so far. Do a google search to see a list of his books because they are in sequence-some of them are stand alones though. I am thinking 1st to Die may be the name of one of the first in one of his series but am not sure though. His Alex Cross series is my favorite. Another good author is JD Robb, which is really Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb but they are a great murder/mystery series that I love.

NCquilter 07-25-2010 12:55 PM

Thank you both! I'm gonna write down the authors you suggested and do google searches. Then I'm heading to the library! Thanks for the suggestions!

Ditter43 07-25-2010 02:01 PM

If you like Steven King and Dean Koontz, try Kay Hooper especially the Special Crimes Unit books....Very good reads!
Another excellent series is Thomas Perry's Jane Whitehouse books. I have read them all and loved them. She helps people who need to hide for various reasons....They are exciting and fast paced. I wish he would write a new one!!

BKrenning 07-25-2010 02:36 PM

I wouldn't exactly compare James Patterson to King or Koontz. Whitley Streiber (sp?) was similar to Dean Koontz at one time. Clive Barker is the British version of Stephen King. Thomas Harris & his "Hannibal" type books are similar to Dean Koontz. John Saul is like a cross between Koontz & King. Dan Brown is another good one sort of like a cross between Patterson & Koontz.

If you like to dabble more into the fantasy side of sci-fi, I strongly suggest Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. They have several different series that will keep you reading for a long, long time.

katiebear1 07-25-2010 02:40 PM

Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs are good if you like crime dramas. K Riechs books are the basis for the tv show "Bones"If you like King and Koontz , try Boy's life, Swan Song, and Stinger by Robert Mc Cammon. ( these are all fairly old books ....published in the late 80's and early 90's. They are all really good and McCammons Swan Song rivals King"s "The Stand". any day

katiebear1 07-25-2010 02:46 PM

This may sound dumb, but if you have never read the Harry Potter books, do so now. She wrote the books to "age" along with the readers. In the first book Harry was 11 and he aged a year in every book, so by the last book (when he was 17) there were some really complex plot twists. But adults can enjoy them and maybe read more into them than children.

Shemjo 07-25-2010 02:47 PM

James Patterson is a good read. His books are mysteries.

I have recently discovered John Sandford's books. They are page turners, but thrillers as opposed to mysteries. Some have other-worldly components, and are slightly off the wall,
but good reads.

Thanks for the heads up on other authors worth exploring.

ann clare 07-25-2010 03:03 PM

I love books by both James Patterson and Jonathan Kellerman.