Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   June Weight Loss 2015 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/june-weight-loss-2015-a-t265749.html)

Leann 06-03-2015 11:11 AM

Hello friends,
Anna, I agree with Pam in that you may be too low on your calories. I have had success in keeping my calories the same, say 1300-1600, but tweeking those to include more protein and less starches. It also depends on how active I am - which isn't much this year. (It has been months since I deliberately did anything considered exercise - but I have been on my feet a lot as I care for my son) And I have also had success with little bursts of energy during a walk or bike ride - just for 10-15 seconds I'll give it all I've got and after my heart rate has come back down, do it again for 4-5 cycles.

Susan, I'm with Anna on this - I gain 10 pounds for a month on prednisone! LOVE the way it makes me feel! More energy than I thought I could have. You did good! Thanks for asking about my kiddo - he is not as good as we wished he was. He is being treated by 3 doctors, all in the same hospital system, so they all have access to what the others are doing, yet my son still got over-medicated. And this is after he & I both told the last 2 doctors that the ibuprofen prescribed for his heart was a danger to his kidneys because of the lithium he is on. They assured us that it would only be for 7 days, but by day 2 it had shredded his stomach. His lithium doctor went through the roof - and backed off his lithium and has been calling to check on him. Only God knows how he will do on his own now that I am having surgery.

Saw my surgeon this morning, who called at 10 and asked me to be there right now. Got all the pre-op instructions, plans for rehab, what to do with physical therapy, blah blah. He told me that an average person could never guess my knee troubles. He said my eyes sparkle, my movement is good - he says my recovery will be excellent. Granted, this week has been one of the better ones my knees have had. I didn't know how I was gonna make it to surgery when we set the date 6 weeks ago.

Now I just gotta find some kind of handwork to do while I'm in the hospital - I wish I knew how to knit; taking my handquilting project is probably out of the question. I still have to make a walker caddy (as suggested by meanmom) and I thought I could take a hexie project if I got the squares cut first. But today, I am trying to get a little rest. After being at the hospital for almost 6 hours yesterday and taking my kid to his 2 appointments on Monday, then driving back home from Austin, I'm a little ragged.

Yes Pam, we can do this! Pat plans to win this month - ending the month with fewer calories will make us all winners.

meanmom 06-03-2015 04:03 PM

I saw my orthopoedist today for my post op checkup. He was thrilled with how my knee is doing. I was able to bend it to 125 degrees without even stretching first. He was amazed that I was able to walk 4 miles. He said no reason to come in for a 3 month checkup unless I want to. He said to come back in a year. He realeased me to do whatever I want. He said to avoid high impact things like running for a few more weeks. Ha ha like that will ever happen. If it doesn't hurt I can do it:-) One or 2 more PT visits to give me instructions on things to keep doing then I am done.
My cousin passed away and we are going to the funeral on Friday. I need to be at my moms at 5AM. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive and we will come home in the afternoon. On Saturday morning I am leaving for a week in FLorida. I will do lots of walking on the beach.
Leann so sorry to hear about your sons difficulties with his meds. I am glad to hear you are able to have your surgery. You will be so glad you did it. I could only walk maybe 1/4 mile before surgery.
Anna I agree with the others I think your body has gone into starvation mode. I have had the best success where for 3 days it is pretty much no carbs, meat and veggies then on the 4th day you get some carbs abd fruit. The theory is that about the time your body starts to think it is starving you trick it by giving it a few extra calories.
Tomorrow I will announce the winner for May. There have been some good losses again for May. Don't forget to PM your loss.
Pat

Annaquilts 06-04-2015 06:53 AM

Thanks for the insight and tips. I added some more calories and carbs and hope to be on track soon. At Least it is back down again from a little over a week ago. Not much .6 but at least it is no longer going up. DH thinks I should just leave it at the weight I am at but I am no where near where my MD wants me.

Leann 06-04-2015 06:41 PM

Pat, sorry to hear about your cousin. Great news on your recovery. It only took 4 weeks, but I am finally cleared for my procedures. Told me not to shave my legs anymore as he won't take a chance of an infection if I nick myself. This will be gross. Wish I still had my electric razor. Have a safe trip!

Anna, you have done so good with the loss, maybe your body is just catching it's breath. You are determined, so the losses will start for you again.

Can't wait to hear about our May winner. I consider it a victory that I did not gain.

meanmom 06-04-2015 07:15 PM

The winner for May is AnnaQuilts with a loss of 10 pounds. Awesome job. There were also a lot of other good losses. Keep up the good work.
I'm not sure if I will get your FQ mailed out before I leave town or not. I need to be at my moms tomorrow by 5AM, it takes about 25 minutes to get there. The funeral is about 2 1/2 hours away. Saturday we leave for a week in Florida and a wedding. I have done a little of my packing for that. I had a hard time finding a dress for the wedding. I ordered one on line but it was off white. Not the best color on me and several people said maybe I shouldn't were that color to the wedding. So I decided to dye it. I ordered some dye for polyester and had at it. I was worried because the washing instructions said cold water. To dye it you boil it for 30 minutes to and hour. It came out a gorgeous fuschia ( a little bit purple) color. I love it.

Annaquilts 06-04-2015 10:36 PM

Oh wow! Even with the last week going no where. Don't worry about mailing and just do it when it works out. Soon I will be gone too. Thank you!

Leann 06-05-2015 08:09 AM

Shouting out congratulations to you ANNA! You have been so successful - keep up the great work! Ten pounds in a month is awesome and proves how diligent you have been!

Leann 06-05-2015 08:11 AM

I've never tried to dye fabric beyond a tye-dye t-shirt. Sounds like you did a great color for a summer wedding. Have a safe trip Pat!

Annaquilts 06-06-2015 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Leann (Post 7217556)
Shouting out congratulations to you ANNA! You have been so successful - keep up the great work! Ten pounds in a month is awesome and proves how diligent you have been!

Thank you Lynne. And with people's tips I seem to be over my plateau for now. I have also been unusually busy. Maybe not exercise that is planned but mostly secondary to walking from shopping to going to the fair like today.

Annaquilts 06-06-2015 05:37 AM

Planning in snacks you want.

Does anyone else plan in a small snack daily of a goodie they want?

I seem to do better if I have a piece of candy, chocolate, chips etc. that I have daily. One of my favorites is this Sees candy lollipop, especially the caramel. It has 80 calories but it helps me stay within my calories knowing that if I save 80 calories I can have this yummy sweet treat at the end of the day.

For me portion control seems like it will be a life time issues. Even with the summer and several trips planned I am obsessing about bringing my measuring cups. Scanning the bar codes with Loseit.com app and entering what portion I am having is very helpful too.